Basic Site Details

Name: Gardner Memorial Church
Town, district or village: Brechin
City or county: Angus
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:
Notes: The memorial stone has just been laid of a new established church at Brechin. The building is situate in Damacre Road, at right angles to St Ninianís Square, along which the hall, session house and vestry are extended. A square tower is placed at this intersection. The church consists of a nave 99 feet long by 24 feet wide, seated for 305, and an aisle 72 feet long by 20 feet 6 inches wide, seated for 208. At the end of the nave the floor is raised for the communion table, pulpit and choir, a stone parapet wall dividing their position from the organ end of the aisle. At the tower end of the church, and within the walls of the tower, there is a gallery to seat 87 which is reached by the vestibule which occupies the whole breadth of the aisle. The baptismal font is placed in a recess in the aisle immediately to the side of the entrance door. The hall is 46 feet long by 20 feet 6 inches wide and is seated for 162. The sessions house is 21 feet 6 inches long and 18 feet wide. The vestry looks out on to an enclosed garden. The whole buildings are constructed of native grey rubble, with red Corncockle freestone dressings, the stonework of the interior being wholly of red stone. The walls as well as the floor of the cloister are lined with red tiles and the whole church is to be enclosed with wrought iron railings. J C Wynnes is the resident draughtsman and inspector. The architect is Mr John James Burnett of J Burnett and Son, Glasgow. [Builder 4 September 1897 p189]

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Southesk ChurchYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Damacre RoadYes 
Item 2 of 2St Ninian's SquareYes 


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 118961900Build/construction 


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 5(Sir) John James BurnetArchitectA18961900Commission retained by Burnet after dissolution of partnership with Campbell
Item 2 of 5Burnet Son & CampbellArchitectural practiceA18961897Commission retained by Burnet after dissolution of partnership with Campbell
Item 3 of 5George Ronald BryceArchitectA18961900As apprentice to John James Burnet
Item 4 of 5John Archibald CampbellArchitectA18961897Commission retained by Burnet after dissolution of partnership with Campbell
Item 5 of 5James Cumming WynnesArchitectA18971899As assistant to John James Burnet. Resident draughtsman and inspector


Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Builder23 May 1896LXX  
Item 2 of 3Builder4 September 1897  p189 - memorial stone
Item 3 of 3Dundee Advertiser13 May 1896   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register22568 
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers George Ronald Bryce: L v16 no1151; James Cumming Wynnes: L v9 no516