Basic Site Details

Name: The Rowans
Town, district or village: Colinton
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes: Described as 'Cottage C' on Dean of Guild application in 1900

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1BrackendaleYes 

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 121, Pentland AvenueYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 326 October 1900  Plans dated
Item 2 of 34 April 1912  Plans submitted for alterations and additions - garage built
Item 3 of 313 September 1929  Plans submitted to Dean of Guild - alterations

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3(Sir) Robert Stodart LorimerArchitect 1900  
Item 2 of 3George Donaldson MacnivenArchitect 1912 Additions and alterations
Item 3 of 3Alexander Allan FooteArchitect 1929 Alterations

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 3Menzies, J RFor the 1912 work
Item 2 of 3Menzies, John ClunieFor the 1929 work
Item 3 of 3Wright, Miss GuthrieClient for original house

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Savage, Peter1980Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers Edinburgh: Paul Harris Publishing, 1980 (also paperback ed, London & Edinburgh: Steve Savage, 2005)P173

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4Edinburgh City ArchivesEdinburgh Dean of Guild 13 September 1929 and plans 20 September1929
Item 2 of 4Edinburgh City ArchivesMidlothian Dean of Guild Plans 24 September 1900 and 4 April 1912 (alterations)
Item 3 of 4Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register29481 
Item 4 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSLorimer and Matthew Collection LOR E/49