Basic Site Details

Name: Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society Clubhouse
Town, district or village: Barnton
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Lord Rosebery opened on the 11th inst the new club-house of the Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society which has been erected at the entrance to their green at Barnton and in immediate proximity to Cramond Brig Station. Mr R M Cameron was the architect and the building is in the Early English style. The club house is for the most part two storeys in height. The chief apartment on the ground floor is a dining room, 50 feet by 30 feet, with arched ceiling. On the opposite side of the vestibule is a smoking-room 26 feet by 22 feet, and on the same level are an office for the secretary and a drying room; and in addition to lavatory accommodation a box room with 650 boxes. This room is an annex, one storey in height. It is lighted from the roof so that the whole wall spce is available for boxes. Upstairs there is a ladies room and committee and card rooms. The total cost of the club house will be between£5,000 and £6,000. [Builder 22 May 1897 p464]

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Golf Club  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 311 May 1897 Opened 
Item 2 of 31927  Extension
Item 3 of 31939  Alterations and additions

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 6Robert Macfarlane CameronArchitect 1897 Original club-house
Item 2 of 6Thomas McCraeArchitect 1927 Extension
Item 3 of 6David John ChisholmArchitectA1939 Alterations
Item 4 of 6Dick Peddie, Todd & JamiesonArchitectural practiceA1939 Alterations
Item 5 of 6George Lindsay Auldjo JamiesonArchitectA1939 Alterations
Item 6 of 6William James Walker ToddArchitectA1939 Alterations

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Edinburgh Burgess Golfing Society 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder22 May 1897  p464 - opening

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDick Peddie and McKay Collection DPm 1930/275/1
Item 2 of 2National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSRIAS Collection From Royal Burgess Club Collection