Basic Site Details

Name: Workmen's Institute, Quarter
Town, district or village: Hamilton
City or county: Lanarkshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: This new building, the gift of the Duchess of Hamilton, has just been finished in the Quarter district of Hamilton, forming a workmen’s social institute, which so far as Scotland is concerned, must be regarded as largely in the nature of an experiment fraught, if successful, with great possibilities. The institute owes its origin to the practical philanthropy of the Duchess of Hamilton, The intention is to brighten the village life, and to afford a strong and healthy rivalry to the allurements of the public-house. The donor, it is understood, is willing to extend the scope of her beneficence to other needy districts in Lanarkshire ; but, meanwhile, the result of the Quarter is experimental. Mr J B Cromb, Hamilton Palace Estates Office, is the architect. Included in the building, which stands on a. capital and convenient site, are a billiard-room (equipped with the most modern tables), a hall fitted with the necessary requisites for carpet bowls, a shooting-gallery, summer ice-tables, a large refreshment-room, a range of baths, and other conveniences. Then there are also a reading-room and library, a small games- room, a committee-room, and a caretaker's house, Adjoining the institute there is being laid out a large-sized bowling-green, and in this connection it may be explained that the-bowl-house, which has now been completed, forms part of the main structure. The building throughout will be lit with electricity. No expense hae been spared in equipping the institute, and in making all the varied adjuncts attached to it as complete and thorough as possible. [Building News 11 March 1910 p 341]

The institute was opened on 1 October 1910 by the Duke and Duchess of Hamilton. It was generally constructed of brick, rough cast, with red stone dressings and finished in a yellowish tint. The porch was of polished Dumfries redstone.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1The Duchess Nina Institute  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Institute  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 21910 Build/construction 
Item 2 of 21 October 1910 OpenedOpened by the Duke and Duchess of Hamilton

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1John Burns CrombArchitect 1910  

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Hamilton, Duchess of 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Building News11 March 1910  p341 with plans and illustration
Item 2 of 2Building News7 October 1910  p507 - opening

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers John Burns Cromb: L v17 no1206