|Coodham||The original house was built 1826-1831 by the widow of William Fairlie and the 90 acre estate remained in the family until 1871 when it was sold to Sir William Henry Houldsworth (1834 -1917) first baronet, Manchester cotton industrialist and politician. In his later years Sir William lived almost exclusively at Coodham, from where he reorganized the affairs of his family's Scottish ironworks and collieries in the early 20th century.|
Between 1872 and 1879 Houldsworth employed Alfred Waterhouse to carry out various improvements including a music room, conservatory, private chapel and garden design. In 1877 Frederic Shields, the pre-Rapaelite artist Waterhouse would later employ at Eaton Hall, Cheshire, was commissioned to design the stained glass for the Houldsworth chapel on the subject “The Triumph of Faith” Although his designs had been completed by April 1879, and approved by Houldsworth, the proposal to install the stained glass at Coodham was abandoned. Furnishings by Farmer & Brindlay, glass by Heaton Butler and Bayne to designs by Henry Holliday. Total cost for works at Coodham £13,365.
c2009-11 The house, chapel and west wing have been restored and converted by developers into several residences. Coodham is now a private residential estate with planning permission for over 40 executive homes in the grounds
Following his work at Coodham, Alfred Waterhouse was employed at Reddish near Manchester where Houldsworth had built two new spinning mills and workers’ housing on a green-field site. Here Waterhouse provided the designs for the Houldsworth schools, a rectory and the impressive St Elizabeth’s Church, built 1881-1883 and listed Grade I. Here Frederic Shield’s unused designs for Coodham were incorporated in the clerestory windows while his cartoons were eventually acquired by Manchester Art Gallery.
Contractors: General, William Scott; heating G N Haden, D O Bpyd; stonecarving Farmer & Brindley, M Muir; tiles W Godwin; stained glass Heaton Butler & Bayne; chimneypieces W H Burke; furnishing H Capel; decoration Best & Lea; ironwork Hart Son Beard & Co; decorative plasterwork G Jackson; murals Frederick Shields.
Cost £13,365. N.B. An organ case was designed for W H Houldsworth in 1869, location unknown.