Basic Site Details

Name: Coaltown of Wemyss School
Town, district or village: Coaltown of Wemyss
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Status: C listed
Grid ref:
Notes: The new school erected by the Wemyss School Board at Coaltown of Wemyss was opened on the 8th inst. The school is built to accommodate over 400 children. Mr Alex Todd (sic) is the architect; Mr Thomas Brown, builder, Mr Robert Suttie, joiner; Mr D Johston, slater and plasterer; Mr William Nichol, plumber; Mr R B Forester, painter; Mr McCulloch, railings and other ironwork; sanitary fittings, Adam and Company, Glasgow. [Builder 20 February 1897 p179]

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Primary SchoolYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1School  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Main StreetYes 


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 218961897Build/construction 
Item 2 of 28 February 1897 Opened 


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1Alexander TodArchitect 18961897 


The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
Item 1 of 1Wemyss School Board  


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
Item 1 of 2Cunningham, Andrew S1905Rambles in the parish of Scoonie and Wemyss  pp247-8
Item 2 of 2Gifford, John1988Fife (The Buildings of Scotland)  p127

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder20 February 1897LXXII p178