|Bonner, F T and Dwan, J||1986||The Finest Fire station in this Round World|| || || |
|Hartwell, C, Hyde, M, & Pevsner, N||2004||Buildings of England: Lancashire Manchester and the South|| || ||Page 287-288|
The fire station forms a huge, near triangular block ranged round a central courtyard and bounded by London Road, Fairfield Street and Whitworth Street, Opened in September 1906, the original proposals provided for a police station, ambulance station and bank as well as the Fire Brigade Headquarters. A Coroners’ Court and gas meter testing station were later incorporated into the design. “A magnificent municipal showpiece now shamefully neglected” (Hartwell), the fire station was closed c1986. Proposals to convert the building into a hotel have so far come to nothing and it remains empty and seriously at risk.
|Who's Who in Architecture||1914|| || || || |