Basic Site Details

Name: Gorgie EU Church
Town, district or village: Gorgie
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B listed
Grid ref:
Notes: Cost: 6,000.

The Gorgie EU and Baptist congregations exchanged buildings in 1915, Gorgie EU Church becoming Gorgie Baptist Church (see separate entry for the former Baptist Church on Gorgie Road which became Gorgie EU Church at this time).

The St Martin of Tours Episcopal congregation previously worshipped in John Robertson's building (Gorgie Road and Murieston Crescent - see separate entry), and acquired this building and moved into it in 1982 when structural problems forced them to leave their former home, which was subsequently demolished. The Baptist congregation then worshipped temporarily in their former building, Gorgie City Mission, Wheatfield Terrace before forming a union with the church at Stenhouse Cross, to which some of them transferred.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2Gorgie Baptist Church from 1915 to 1982
Item 2 of 2St Martin of Tours Episcopal ChurchYesSince 1982

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Dalry RoadYes 
Item 2 of 2Murieston CrescentYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 31894 Opened 
Item 2 of 31915  Became Gorgie Baptist Church
Item 3 of 31982  Became St Martin of Tours Episcopal Church

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 4Charles Edward Tweedie (senior)ArchitectA1894  
Item 2 of 4Frank Lewis Worthington SimonArchitectA1894  
Item 3 of 4Simon & TweedieArchitectural practiceA1894  
Item 4 of 4William Meek PageArchitectA1894 As assistant to Frank Worthington Simon

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Cant, Malcolm1995Gorgie and Dalry Edinburgh: Malcolm Cant Publicationspp79-81
Item 2 of 2Gifford, John, McWilliam, Colin and Walker, David M1984Edinburgh (The Buildings of Scotland) Harmondsworth: Penguin Books Ltdp505

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4Edinburgh City ArchivesEdinburgh Dean of Guild 17 August 1893
Item 2 of 4Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register26799Dalry Road, St Martin of Tours (Episcopal) with Boundary Walls
Item 3 of 4RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers William Meek Page: L v25 no2054
Item 4 of 4St Martin of Tours Episcopal ChurchPlans held at church