Basic Site Details

Name: Moredun Research Institute
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Personal information from Frank Wood. Initial 1950 Microbiology Block contract value £42,000. Extension £95,000.

John Donald writes: Moredun was a country estate which had been built round by the Edinburgh suburb of Gilmerton. The existing land and buildings must have been requisitioned for the war effort and it became the headquarters of the Animal Diseases Research Association , always referred to in the office as ADRA. This was part of a vast government effort to boost wartime agricultural production which continued as a national priority until the 1980’s. The wartime building were the usual temporary huts and Richard and Betty were commissioned to prepare a development plan for a complete animal diseases research facility. They were also to provide architectural services for the various buildings required The first of these was the Microbiology Unit which was designed in 1950 and completed in 1956.Alongside this state of the art laboratory block some of the temporary building continued in use serving as labs ,animal housing workshops and storage and over the next twenty years the Moiras continued to be architects for ADRA gradually replacing these with new modern facililities . These included the Patholgy Block,,( a large multi storey building) ,farm buildings, workshops and stores . In 1973 I was given the task of extending the Moiras original microbiology labs in the same crosswall and infill style of 1950.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2Animal Diseases Research Association Headquarters  
Item 2 of 2Laboratories for the diseases of animalsYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Institute  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Gilmerton RoadYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 719241927  
Item 2 of 719381939 Additions
Item 3 of 719501956Build/constructionMicrobiology Laboratories for Animal Diseases Research Association
Item 4 of 71963 AdditionRadio Isotope and Metabolism
Item 5 of 71966 AdditionFarm Animals Isolation Unit
Item 6 of 719721974AdditionPathology block, workshops and extension to Microbiology Unit
Item 7 of 71976 AdditionBiochemistry

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 16Alan Keith RobertsonArchitectA19241925 
Item 2 of 16Frank WoodArchitectA19241927Initially as assistant to Alan Keith Robertson and latterly responsibly for the continuation of Robertson's practice after his death in 1925
Item 3 of 16Frank WoodArchitectB19381939Additions
Item 4 of 16Betty Lydia Chetwynd Moira (née Leech)ArchitectF19501956Microbiology Laboratories for Animal Diseases Research Association
Item 5 of 16Richard Edward MoiraArchitectF19501956Microbiology Laboratories for the Animal Research Association
Item 6 of 16Moira & MoiraArchitectural practiceF1956 Microbiology Laboratories for Animal Diseases Research Association
Item 7 of 16Betty Lydia Chetwynd Moira (née Leech)ArchitectC19611966Major expansion - Radio Isotope and Metabolism, Farm Animals Isolation Unit.

Item 8 of 16Moira & MoiraArchitectural practiceC19611966Major expansion - Radio Isotope and Metabolism, Farm Animals Isolation Unit.
Item 9 of 16Richard Edward MoiraArchitectC19611966Major expansion - Radio Isotope and Metabolism, Farm Animals Isolation Unit.
Item 10 of 16Douglas MurrayArchitectD19721974Pathology block, workshops and extension to Microbiology Unit - one of job architects
Item 11 of 16John DonaldArchitectD19721974Pathology block, workshops and extension to Microbiology Unit - one of job architects
Item 12 of 16Maurice William Irwin PettigrewArchitectD19721974Pathology block, workshops and extension to Microbiology Unit - one of job architects
Item 13 of 16Moira Moira & WannArchitectural practiceD19721974Pathology block, workshops and extension to Microbiology Unit - one of job architects
Item 14 of 16Richard Edward MoiraArchitectA1976 Biochemistry unit
Item 15 of 16Betty Lydia Chetwynd Moira (née Leech)ArchitectE1976 Biochemistry unit
Item 16 of 16Moira Moira & WannArchitectural practiceE1976 Biochemistry unit

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Gifford, John, McWilliam, Colin and Walker, David M1984Edinburgh (The Buildings of Scotland) Harmondsworth: Penguin Books Ltdp582-3
Item 2 of 2RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Courtesy of John DonaldInformation sent via DSA website Sent February 2011
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Frank Wood: F no 4529 (combined box 20)