Basic Site Details

Name: St John's Episcopal Church
Town, district or village: Greenock
City or county: Renfrewshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Union StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 4   No date given in NMRS list for Ross work
Item 2 of 41877 Design exhibitedOriginal church
Item 3 of 41922 Design exhibitedMemorial screen
Item 4 of 41936 Design exhibitedOak parclose screen (in memory of Sir John Henry Kerr)

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 12Alexander RossArchitect   Possibly competition design but could be item of furnishing
Item 2 of 12David ThomsonArchitect 1875 Unsuccessful competition design exhibited
Item 3 of 12Cathcart William MethvenArchitect, EngineerA1875 As clerk of works to Paley & Austin
Item 4 of 12Edward Graham PaleyArchitectA18751877 
Item 5 of 12Hubert James AustinArchitectA18751877 
Item 6 of 12Paley & AustinArchitectural practiceA18751877 
Item 7 of 12(Sir) Robert Rowand AndersonArchitectB1877 Unsuccessful competition design exhibited
Item 8 of 12Harold Ogle TarboltonArchitectC1922 Memorial screen
Item 9 of 12Scott Morton & Co (later Scott Morton & Tynecastle Co Ltd; finally Scott Morton Ltd)Architectural practiceC|D1922 or 1936 Interior work, instructed by H O Tarbolton
Item 10 of 12(Sir) Matthew Montgomerie OchterlonyArchitectD1936 Oak parclose screen (in memory of Sir John Henry Kerr)
Item 11 of 12Harold Ogle TarboltonArchitectD1936 Oak parclose screen (in memory of Sir John Henry Kerr)
Item 12 of 12Tarbolton & OchterlonyArchitectural practiceD1936 Oak parclose screen (in memory of Sir John Henry Kerr)

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 7Glasgow Institute of Fine Arts1875   603 (David Thomson)
Item 2 of 7RSA1877   857 (Rowand Anderson design)
Item 3 of 7RSA1922   538
Item 4 of 7RSA1927   570
Item 5 of 7RSA1936   739
Item 6 of 7Scottish Episcopal Church Yearbook1908 1907-08 Paley & Austin
Item 7 of 7Walker, Frank Arneil1986South Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide to Inverclyde and Renfrew  p130

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 5Highland ArchivesAlexander Ross collection with handlist  
Item 2 of 5Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register34153 
Item 3 of 5National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSList of jobs supplied by Mr Alistair Ross, Inverness (given to NMRS in 1950s)  
Item 4 of 5Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Information on involvement of Scott Morton & Co
Item 5 of 5RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Cathcart William Methven: F v14 p44 no876 (microfilm reel 11)