Basic Site Details

Name: Hugh Miller Institute
Town, district or village: Cromarty
City or county: Ross and Cromarty
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: The Institute was formally opened in late August 1904 by Andrew Carnegie who had defrayed the cost of the building (1,200).

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Institute  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 230 December 1902 Journal reference 
Item 2 of 2August 1904 Opened 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Alexander RossArchitectA1902  
Item 2 of 3Robert John MacbethArchitectA1902  
Item 3 of 3Ross & MacbethArchitectural practiceA1902  

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3British Architect2 September 1904  p181 - opening
Item 2 of 3Inverness Courier30 December 1902   
Item 3 of 3Inverness Courier20 March 1903   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register23582 
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Robert John Macbeth: F v17 no 1115