Basic Site Details

Name: Dalry Girls Reformatory
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: The Dabry(sic) Reformatory is not far distant from the old High Kirk. The original foundation was in “the Causewayside” but opposition and other causes has led to the construction of the present more removed structure - probably leading to much more the efficacy of the Institution, The cost of the new building - over £1,000, has been defrayed principally through the exertions of those who originated the scheme. The building was opened on the 21st ult. It is a substantial house of three stories, having very much the appearance of a good-sized villa, and is surrounded by a boundary wall, which encloses about three-quarters of an acre of land, partly laid out as a garden and partly as a bleaching green and play-ground. Internally it is fitted up in a plain and substantial style, and contains - besides cooking and washing rooms, laundry, sick-room etc and the apartments of the matron and teacher - three large halls, about 40 feet by 16 feet, built over each other, and extending across the whole breadth of the house. The lowest, on the ground-floor, is the school-room, and the two upper ones are dormitories, and are each supplied with about twenty iron single bedsteads, arranged in two rows along the room. [Building News 6 December 1861 p967]

Adjoining Magdalene Asylum.
Building survives as Springwell House
Architect for the original building not given

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Springwell House  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Reformatory  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Ardmillan TerraceYes 
Item 2 of 2Gorgie RoadYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 321 November 1861 Opened 
Item 2 of 31865 AdditionCanmore record
Item 3 of 31874 AdditionCanmore record

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectA1865 additions
Item 2 of 3John Dick PeddieArchitectA1865 additions
Item 3 of 3Peddie & KinnearArchitectural practiceA1865 additions

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1Magdalene Asylum 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Building News6 December 1861  p967

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDick Peddie and McKay Collection DPM/1860/84/1