Basic Site Details

Name: St Columba's Parish Church
Town, district or village: Burntisland
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Burntisland 'baptistery'Yes 

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Leven StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 1117481749Build/constructionStone steeple
Item 2 of 111862  Extensive alterations to interior and fanlight above south door
Item 3 of 111876  Alterations for heating
Item 4 of 111877  Repairs to tower and roof
Item 5 of 11c. 1884  Plans showing details of roof
Item 6 of 111907  Restoration
Item 7 of 1115 September 1907  Re-opened after restoration
Item 8 of 111925  Electric lighting intriduced
Item 9 of 111929  Repairs - including repair of stair on east side
Item 10 of 111936  Strengthening of steeple
Item 11 of 11March 1957 Plans datedAlterations

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 14Samuel NeilsonArchitect, MasonD17481749Stone steeple
Item 2 of 14Henry HarensArchitect, BuilderA1862 Extensive alterations to interior and fanlight above south door
Item 3 of 14David RhindArchitect 1876 Alterations for heating
Item 4 of 14Henry HarensArchitect, BuilderB1877 Repairs to tower and roof
Item 5 of 14Arthur Forman Balfour PaulArchitectC1877 Restoration
Item 6 of 14Rowand Anderson & PaulArchitectural practiceC1877 Restoration
Item 7 of 14Arthur George Sydney MitchellArchitect 1884 Plans showing details of roof
Item 8 of 14(Sir) Robert Rowand AndersonArchitectC1893 Restoration
Item 9 of 14Henry Francis KerrArchitect 1925 Electric lighting intriduced
Item 10 of 14Francis William DeasArchitect 1929 Repairs - inlcuding stair on south side of gallery (with advice from Clouting, HMOW)
Item 11 of 14Garrock & RobertsonArchitectural practice 1936 Strengthening of steeple
Item 12 of 14George AnnandArchitectP1957 Alterations
Item 13 of 14James Grant ShearerArchitectP1957 Alterations
Item 14 of 14Shearer & AnnandArchitectural practiceP1957 Alterations

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 4Architect1907LXXVII p192
Item 2 of 4ArchitectAugust 1907LXXVIII p176
Item 3 of 4Building News1907XCII p414
Item 4 of 4Building News1909XCVII p550

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4NAS National Archives of ScotlandArchive with prefix letter BB9/12/17pp424, 429, 436
Item 2 of 4National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)Kirk Session Records CH 2/523/8, 9, 20 January, 11, 24 March 1862; 28 April 1876; 27 February 1877; CH 2/523/9, 19 February 1907- 12 March 1908; 18 May 1936
Item 3 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSShearer and Annand CollectionSA 1950/3/1-2 
Item 4 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSSydney Mitchell & Wilson Collection SMW 1880/15/1