Basic Site Details

Name: St Mary's Episcopal Church
Town, district or village: Broughty Ferry
City or county: Dundee
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Brass eagle lectern by Hart Son & Peard

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 718581859 Main church
Item 2 of 71870  South aisle added
Item 3 of 718871903 Transeptal organ chamber and proposed new school (plans dated)
Item 4 of 719111912 Woodwork (Bishop's chair and kneelers)
Item 5 of 71911  Nave and chancel lengthened without altering design of gables
Item 6 of 71915  Pulpit (plans dated)
Item 7 of 719191921 Chancel screen war memorial (plans dated)

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 4(Sir) George Gilbert ScottArchitect, Architectural practiceA18581859Original church
Item 2 of 4(Sir) George Gilbert ScottArchitect, Architectural practiceB1870 South aisle added
Item 3 of 4John Murray RobertsonArchitect 18871903Transeptal organ chamber
Item 4 of 4(Sir) Robert Stodart LorimerArchitect 19111921Additional bay added to lengthen nave and chancel, without altering design of gables; woodwork (Bishop's chair and kneelers). Furnishings and war memorial screen

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Gifford, John2012The Buildings of Scotland: Angus and Dundee Yalep392-3
Item 2 of 2Savage, Peter1980Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers Edinburgh: Paul Harris Publishing, 1980 (also paperback ed, London & Edinburgh: Steve Savage, 2005)p176

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4Dundee Archive and Record CentreJohn Murray Robertson/James Findlay Collection (from Wellwood Leslie Architects) GD/WL Bundle 3 (5 sheets drawings)
Item 2 of 4Dundee Planning DepartmentBroughty Ferry Approved Duplicate Plans 1887 plans by John Murray Robertson; 1911 plans by Robert Stodart Lorimer
Item 3 of 4Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register25870 
Item 4 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSLorimer and Matthew Collection AND 825/1,2 LOR D/11