© All rights reserved.   

Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.

Basic Site Details

Name: Cleghorn Building
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B Listed
Grid ref:
Notes: CHECK: conflict of information re: the Spence work, between this and Cleghorn's premises on Princes Street (see separate entry). Directories to be checked to see whether Cleghorn's Princes Street store was at no 129.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Pearl Assurance BuildingYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Office  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 235, Castle StreetYesCorner
Item 2 of 2100-104, George StreetYesCorner

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 419241927  
Item 2 of 41936 Design exhibited 
Item 3 of 419371938 Building completed to planned length with some detail alterations to existing building and omitting the high roof planned by Lochhead
Item 4 of 41956 Alterations and additionsAlterations to ground floor with addition of black and red granite.

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 6Alfred George LochheadArchitect 19241925Lochhead's early designs were not approved but later ones accepted
Item 2 of 6(Sir) Basil Urwin SpenceArchitectA19371938Commission handled by Spence; Building completed to planned length with some detail alterations to existing building, modification of corner and third floor windows and omitting the high roof planned by Lochhead
Item 3 of 6(Sir) William Hardie Kininmonth ArchitectA19371938Building completed to planned length with some detail alterations to existing building, modification of corner and third floor windows and omitting the high roof planned by Lochhead
Item 4 of 6Rowand Anderson, Paul & PartnersArchitectural practiceA19371938Building completed to planned length with some detail alterations to existing building, modification of corner and third floor windows and omitting the high roof planned by Lochhead
Item 5 of 6Alexander Smart ToddArchitectF1956 Alterations to ground floor with addition of black and red granite.
Item 6 of 6James Davidson & SonArchitectural practice, SurveyorsF1956 Alterations to ground floor with addition of black and red granite.

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Cleghorn 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Edwards, Brian1995Basil Spence 1907-1976  p30
Item 2 of 3Gifford, John, McWilliam, Colin and Walker, David M1984Edinburgh (The Buildings of Scotland) Harmondsworth: Penguin Books Ltdp305
Item 3 of 3Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts1926   204

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Edinburgh City ArchivesEdinburgh Dean of Guild Plans dated June/November 1924-5, 1956 (1902 plans missing)
Item 2 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register30272 
Item 3 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSLochhead Collection Photograph

Images

© All rights reserved.   

© All rights reserved.