Basic Site Details

Name: Gilcomston Chapel of Ease
Town, district or village: Gilcomston
City or county: Aberdeen
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Denburn Parish was designed as a Chapel of Ease by William Smith, opening in 1771. The vestry was added in 1845 to designs by his son, John Smith. The building became a parish church in 1834 and it is recorded that the building was substantially altered during the tenure of Reverend David Milne, although details of these alterations are not known. In 1878 the interior was restored and the façade to Summer Street added, followed by the addition of halls in 1889.

As recorded by Lyall and Still, the church became known as Gilcomston St Colm’s and now as Denburn Parish Church. It has new owners (Hebron Evangelical Church) so it may change it’s name again in the near future. Work to the church and halls is ongoing at the moment - McLean Architects, Glasgow (Planning Ref 111633).



Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 4Denburn Parish Church  
Item 2 of 4Gilcomston Parish ChurchYes 
Item 3 of 4Gilcomston St Colm's  
Item 4 of 4Hebron Evangelical Church  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Summer Street  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 51771 Opened 
Item 2 of 51840 AdditionVestry (HS gives 1845)
Item 3 of 511 April 1878  Plans passed for additions and repairs
Item 4 of 518881889 Halls added
Item 5 of 52012 Alterations and additions 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 5William SmithArchitect, BuilderA1771  
Item 2 of 5John SmithArchitect 1840 Vestry (HS gives 1845)
Item 3 of 5Duncan McMillanArchitectA1878 Additions and repairs amounting to complete reconstruction (mainly responsible)
Item 4 of 5Mackenzie & McMillanArchitectural practiceA1878 Additions and repairs amounting to complete reconstruction - McMillan responsible
Item 5 of 5McLean Architects A2012 Alterations

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Gammie, Alexander1937A Romance of Faith Pickering & Inglispp20-1
Item 2 of 3Lyall, F and Still, W1986The Gilcomston Story   pp5, 24 and 41
Item 3 of 3Sharples, J, Walker, D W and Woodworth, M2015The Buildings of Scotland: Aberdeenshire South and Aberdeen London and New Haven: Yale University Pressp156

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Aberdeen City Archives (Copy in Public Library)Aberdeen Plans Committee Minutes Plans passed 11 April 1878