Basic Site Details

Name: St Cuthbert's Poorhouse, Recreation Hall
Town, district or village: Craigleith
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 4Craigleith Hospital and Poorhouse, Recreation Hall  
Item 2 of 4Craigleith Poor Law Hospital, Recreation Hall  
Item 3 of 4St Cuthbert's Poor Law Hospital, Recreation Hall  
Item 4 of 4Western General Hospital, recreation hallYesSince 1929

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Hospital  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Crewe RoadYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11916   

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2James Jerdan & SonArchitectural practiceA1916 Alterations?
Item 2 of 2John JerdanArchitectA1916 Alterations?

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Red Cross 

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Parent Structure and Site

This structure is related to the following parent structure or site (click the item to view details):
 Building nameNotes
Item 1 of 1St Cuthbert's Poorhouse1880 Extensions - Progress is being made with the work of providing accommodation for close upon 200 additional inmates at the St. Cuthbert's Poorhouse, Edinburgh, the walls of the wings which are to bo added being now above the level of the first floor. After various schemes for the enlargement of the building had been considered, one of those submitted by Messrs D. and J. Bryce, architects, was adopted and proceeded with. This mode of extension consists in the addition of a wing at either end in front of the edifice, the design and arrangement being, of course, in unison with the original design. The actual number of inmates for whom room will be made by the extension is 192, and the cost of the works contracted for is close upon 10,000. [Building News 23 July 1880 p110]

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Shona Adam, Granddaughter of John JerdanJames Jerdan & Son Office Ledger