|Dalry Girls Reformatory||The Dabry(sic) Reformatory is not far distant from the old High Kirk. The original foundation was in “the Causewayside” but opposition and other causes has led to the construction of the present more removed structure - probably leading to much more the efficacy of the Institution, The cost of the new building - over £1,000, has been defrayed principally through the exertions of those who originated the scheme. The building was opened on the 21st ult. It is a substantial house of three stories, having very much the appearance of a good-sized villa, and is surrounded by a boundary wall, which encloses about three-quarters of an acre of land, partly laid out as a garden and partly as a bleaching green and play-ground. Internally it is fitted up in a plain and substantial style, and contains - besides cooking and washing rooms, laundry, sick-room etc and the apartments of the matron and teacher - three large halls, about 40 feet by 16 feet, built over each other, and extending across the whole breadth of the house. The lowest, on the ground-floor, is the school-room, and the two upper ones are dormitories, and are each supplied with about twenty iron single bedsteads, arranged in two rows along the room. [Building News 6 December 1861 p967]|
Adjoining Magdalene Asylum.
Building survives as Springwell House
Architect for the original building not given