Basic Site Details

Name: Balbirnie Paper Mill
Town, district or village: Markinch
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 2Balbirnie Paper WorksYes 
Item 2 of 2Tullis Russell Paper Works  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Mill  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 10April 1886  Drawings dated for design of Mr Dixon's house
Item 2 of 101905  Reconstruction of old cottages and new cottages
Item 3 of 101906  Proposed reconstruction of cottages
Item 4 of 101928  Additions to mill manager's house; also new sinks and WCs to cottages
Item 5 of 10Before 1928(?)  Paper making workshops and power house
Item 6 of 101930  Additions to mill manager's house
Item 7 of 101967 Alterations and additionsAlteration to water purification and filtration plant
Item 8 of 1019701973AdditionNew research and physics laboratory added
Item 9 of 101973 Plans datedDate of revision of plans for new laboratory
Item 10 of 101975 Alterations and additionsExtension III, Phase II (alterstions to offices)

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 15Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceA  Date not known - perhaps with James Harper engineer on workshops and power house
Item 2 of 15James Ross GillespieArchitectA  Date not known - perhaps with James Harper engineer on workshops and power house
Item 3 of 15James ScottArchitectA  Date not known - perhaps with James Harper engineer on workshops and power house
Item 4 of 15James Ross GillespieArchitectB1886 Mr Dixon's house
Item 5 of 15Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceC19051906Reconstruction of old cottages and new cottages
Item 6 of 15James Ross GillespieArchitectC19051906Reconstruction of old cottages and new cottages
Item 7 of 15James ScottArchitectC19051906Reconstruction of old cottages and new cottages
Item 8 of 15Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceD1928 Additions to mill manager's house; also new sinks and WCs to cottages
Item 9 of 15James ScottArchitectD1928 Additions to mill manager's house; also new sinks and WCs to cottages
Item 10 of 15James HarperEngineer Before 1928 Paper making workshops and power house - perhaps with Gillespie & Scoitt?
Item 11 of 15(Sir) Harry Anthony Wheeler (or simply Sir Anthony Wheeler)ArchitectG19671975Alterations to water purification plant; new research and physics laboratory added; alterations to offices
Item 12 of 15Andrew Glen WeirArchitectG19671975Alterations to water purification plant; new research and physics laboratory added; alterations to offices
Item 13 of 15Donald McInnesArchitectG19671975Alterations to water purification plant; new research and physics laboratory added; alterations to offices
Item 14 of 15Frank SprosonArchitectG19671975Alterations to water purification plant; new research and physics laboratory added; alterations to offices
Item 15 of 15Wheeler & SprosonArchitectural practiceG19671975Alterations to water purification plant; new research and physics laboratory added; alterations to offices

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 2Dixon, Messrs J & WClient for 1905/1906 work
Item 2 of 2Tullis Russell & CompanyCleint for 1960s-70s work

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Macdonald, F A & Partners1914Reinforced concrete construction: a handbook for engineers and architects by F A Macdonald & Partners   pp84-88

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)Register House Plans  
Item 2 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSNMRS Photographic Archive FID 271/3-4
Item 3 of 4NMRSWheeler & Sproson Collection WHS 43/1 (drawings); WHS 56/17-19 (photo album); WHS 56/13-16 (photo album); WHS 56/10-22 (water purification plant)
Item 4 of 4St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundles nos 788, 790, 877, 1756, 1945, 2050