© All rights reserved.   

Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.

Basic Site Details

Name: Union Club
Town, district or village: St Andrews
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Gillespie & Scott carried out alterations at various dates - not specified in list of plans

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Royal and Ancient Golf ClubhouseYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Clubhouse  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Golf PlaceYes 
Item 2 of 2The ScoresYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 1618531854 Original building
Item 2 of 161862  Minor internal alterations
Item 3 of 161865  West bay window added in Big Room, also known as Smoking Room or General Room; flanking cast-iron verandahs, (the latter removed and replaced 1882), shown in engraving of 1870 as cantilevered
Item 4 of 1618721873 New billiard room (The North Room at north west corner)
Item 5 of 16September 1879  Proposed alterations - drawings dated
Item 6 of 1618801882 South front rebuilt with pavilions and mansard roof
Item 7 of 161880  Proposed additions - not carried out. John Milne's scheme preferred
Item 8 of 161882  New verandahs on west elevation; since removed
Item 9 of 161888  New porch on south front, butler's pantry and bar infilling recess on east elevation
Item 10 of 161895  Proposed addition of billiard room at first floor on west elevation, not carried out
Item 11 of 16c. 1897  Alterations. Drew up plans for new club but presumably not executed
Item 12 of 1618981899 Revised proposals for new billiard room on west elevation, now including the pedimented card room and cast-iron awning over the bay window of the Big Room
Item 13 of 161906  Railing at Links
Item 14 of 161911  Drain at Links
Item 15 of 1619231925 Rebuilding of north east corner to uniform height of 3 storeys, panelling of first floor dining room
Item 16 of 161978 RestorationAlso alterations

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 32George RaeArchitect 18531854Original building
Item 2 of 32Jesse HallArchitect 1862 Minor internal alterations
Item 3 of 32John Laurie FogoArchitect 1865 West bay window added in Big Room; flanking cast-iron verandahs, the latter removed and replaced 1882
Item 4 of 32David HenryArchitectH18721873New billiard room (The North Room at north west corner)
Item 5 of 32Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceH18721873New billiard room (The North Room at north west corner)
Item 6 of 32Jesse HallArchitectH18721873New billiard room (The North Room at north west corner)
Item 7 of 32Charles George Hood KinnearArchitectB1879 Alterations - not carried out. John Milne commissioned
Item 8 of 32John Dick PeddieArchitectB1879 Alterations - not carried out. John Milne commissioned
Item 9 of 32John More Dick PeddieArchitectB1879 Alterations - not carried out. John Milne commissioned
Item 10 of 32Peddie, Kinnear & PeddieArchitectural practiceB1879 Alterations - not carried out. John Milne commissioned
Item 11 of 32John MilneArchitect 18801882Top floor added
Item 12 of 32David HenryArchitectI1880 Proposed additions - John Milne's scheme preferred
Item 13 of 32Hall & HenryArchitectural practiceI1880 Proposed additions - John Milne's scheme preferred
Item 14 of 32John SibbaldArchitectJ1882 New verandahs on west elevation - since removed
Item 15 of 32James Ross GillespieArchitectK1888 New porch on south front, butler's pantry and bar infilling recess on east elevation
Item 16 of 32Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceDc. 1897 Alterations. Drew up plans for new club but presumably not executed
Item 17 of 32James Ross GillespieArchitectDc. 1897 Alterations. Drew up plans for new club but presumably not executed
Item 18 of 32James ScottArchitectDc. 1897 Alterations. Drew up plans for new club but presumably not executed
Item 19 of 32Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceC18981899Revised proposals for new billiard room on west elevation, now including the pedimented card room and cast-iron awning over the bay window of the Big Room
Item 20 of 32James Ross GillespieArchitectC18981899Revised proposals for new billiard room on west elevation, now including the pedimented card room and cast-iron awning over the bay window of the Big Room
Item 21 of 32James ScottArchitectC18981899Revised proposals for new billiard room on west elevation, now including the pedimented card room and cast-iron awning over the bay window of the Big Room
Item 22 of 32Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceE1906 Railing at Links
Item 23 of 32James Ross GillespieArchitectE1906 Railing at Links
Item 24 of 32James ScottArchitectE1906 Railing at Links
Item 25 of 32Gillespie & ScottArchitectural practiceF1911 Drain at Links
Item 26 of 32James Ross GillespieArchitectF1911 Drain at Links
Item 27 of 32James ScottArchitectF1911 Drain at Links
Item 28 of 32John Donald MillsArchitectL19231925Rebuilding of north east corner to uniform height of 3 storeys, panelling of first floor dining room
Item 29 of 32Mills & ShepherdArchitectural practiceL19231925Rebuilding of north east corner to uniform height of 3 storeys, panelling of first floor dining room
Item 30 of 32Honeyman, Jack & RobertsonArchitectural practiceM1978 Renovation and alterations
Item 31 of 32Robert Hill McEachernArchitectM1978 Renovation and alterations. Job architect
Item 32 of 32William Archibald Park JackArchitectM1978 Renovation and alterations. As consultant.

Related Buildings, Structures and Designs

Child Structures

This structure or site has the following component or child structures (click on an item to view details):
 Building NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Royal and Ancient Golf Club War MemorialFirst World War memorial.

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 10Allen, Nic (ed.) Scottish Architects in Conservation  p52
Item 2 of 10Cant, Ronald Gordon1967St Andrews Architects, II St Andrews Preservation Trust Annual Report, 1967p 16 (for Milne work)
Item 3 of 10Cant, Ronald Gordon1991St Andrews Architects Three decades of historical notes (Revised text), St Andrewsp 29 (for Milne work)
Item 4 of 10Diedrich, Richard J, FAIA2012Legendary Golf Clubhouses of the US and Great Britain Atlantap162-169
Item 5 of 10Frew, J (ed.)1984Building for a New Age St Andrews: Crawford Centre for the Arts, University of St Andrews (undated but pub. 1984)pp 20, 23 & 31
Item 6 of 10Gifford, John1988Fife (The Buildings of Scotland)  p 386
Item 7 of 10Historic Scotland Lists     
Item 8 of 10Lewis, Peter N, Grieve, Fiona and Mackie, Keith1997Art and Architecture of the Royal and Ancient Golf Clubs  p36, 39-40, 41-42, 48-52, 53-56, 57-58, 60-61, 65-57
Item 9 of 10Pride, Glen L1999The Kingdom of Fife2nd EditionThe Rutland Pressp133
Item 10 of 10Salmond, J B1956The story of the Royal and Ancient  p 85 (Rae work); p 170 (1900 work)

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register40820 
Item 2 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDick Peddie and McKay Collection DPM 1870/52/1
Item 3 of 3St Andrews University LibraryJames Gillespie and Scott Archive Bundles nos 15, 88, 447, 1166, 1691 (mantelpiece)

Images

© All rights reserved.   

© All rights reserved.