Basic Site Details

Name: St Peter's Episcopal Church and Rectory
Town, district or village: Montrose
City or county: Angus
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Reredos (designed by Ross & MacBeth) moved from St Mary's Montrose to this church in 1927. See entry for St Mary's.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1St Mary's and St Peter's Episcopal Church Also Rectory

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 2Mid LinksYes 
Item 2 of 2Provost Scott's RoadYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 41858   
Item 2 of 419261927 Chancel, side chapel and triptych, altar in Lady Chapel
Item 3 of 41928 Design exhibitedDesign for new chancel and lady chapel
Item 4 of 41937  Porch added and general refurbishing

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 4John HendersonArchitectA1858  
Item 2 of 4(Sir) Matthew Montgomerie OchterlonyArchitect 19261927Triptych and new chancel with Andrew Watson Turnbull (information from NMRS, although all other sources point to Tarbolton alone)
Item 3 of 4Harold Ogle TarboltonArchitectB19261927Chancel and side chapel and design of triptych(triptych painted by Morris & Alice Meredith Williams) and altar in Lady Chapel and reredos (carved by John Sime)
Item 4 of 4Harold Ogle TarboltonArchitectC1937 Addition of porch and general refurbishing

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 6Gifford, John2012The Buildings of Scotland: Angus and Dundee Yalep622-623
Item 2 of 6Royal Academy exhibitors    19288, no 1403
Item 3 of 6Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts1929   228 (Tarbolton triptych)
Item 4 of 6Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts1934   304 (Tarbolton altar and triptych)
Item 5 of 6RSA1928   577
Item 6 of 6Scottish Episcopal Church Yearbook1908 1907-08  

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register38204 
Item 2 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSList of works by John Henderson compiled by Mrs Elizabeth Stella Phillips  
Item 3 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSNMRS Architects Index For Ochterlony work