Basic Site Details

Name: Pavilion at Corstorphine for Edinburgh University Athletic Club
Town, district or village: Corstorphine
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Grid ref:
Notes: CORSTORPHINE.A pavilion has been erected on the new cricket-ground of the Edinburgh University Club at Corstorphine. The students have for long felt the want of such accommodation, and they are now indebted to Sir Alexander Grant, Principal, many of the professors of the university, and others, for organising and carrying out the scheme by means of which this excellent ground, beautifully situated, within easy access from Edinburgh, has been made available for their recreation. Besides the ordinary accommodation for the members of the Club, the building includes a dwelling-house for the permanent residence of a professional. The work has been carried out under Mr James Fairley. Architect, Edinburgh. [Building News 25 July 1879 p108]

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Pavilion  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Craiglockhart Terrace  


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 11881   


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1James Graham FairleyArchitect 1881  


The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
Item 1 of 1Edinburgh University Athletic Club 


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
Item 1 of 1RSA1881   897

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Building News25 July 1879  p108