Basic Site Details

Name: Blue Halls Cinema
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: In April 1929, drawings were submitted to the Dean of Guild Court for a new cinema seating 2,000 on one floor. Steel framed construction with external walls of brick and stone.

The cinema was built on the site of a former cattle market, the facade of which was retained, and opened on 1 January 1930. Closed April 1954 and re-opened as the Beverley later the same month. Closed November 1959 and was subsequently demolished

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Beverley Cinema Re-named Beverley in April 1954

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Cinema  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 13, Lauriston Street  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 2April 1929 Plans submitted to Dean of Guild 
Item 2 of 21 January 1930 Opened 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1Thomas Bowhill GibsonArchitect 1929  

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Blue Halls (Edinburgh) Limited 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Builder19 April 1929  p740
Item 2 of 2Builder26 April 1929  p786

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSRIAS Collection 1 photograph
Item 2 of 3RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Thomas Bowhill Gibson: L no4726 (combined box 5)
Item 3 of 3Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of ScotlandCanmoreID 240363