Basic Site Details

Name: St Mary of Egypt Home, RC Chapel
Town, district or village: Barrhead
City or county: Renfrewshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: This was built in the grounds of Arthurlie House (known locally as Nether Arthurlie) and owned initially by Lowndes family. Later passed into the hands of the Heys family who were prosperous calico printers. In the early 20th century the estate was sold to the RC Church and then it became St Mary's Convent.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Chapel  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 21924   
Item 2 of 22006 Destruction/demolition 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1Reginald Francis Joseph FairlieArchitect 1924  

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Nuttgens, Patrick1959Reginald Fairlie 1883-1952: A Scottish Architect Edinburgh: Oliver & Boydp45

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSNMRS Architects Index  
Item 2 of 2Zita Craig, BarrheadInformation via website