Basic Site Details

Name: Free Abbey Church
Town, district or village: Dunfermline
City or county: Fife
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: DUNFERMLINE. - The members of Dunfermline Free Abbey Church have resolved to build a new church, and Messrs Douglas, Campbell, and Sellars, Glasgow, have prepared the plans, which show a building in the form of an octagon, with pinnacles at the corners. The style of architecture is Norman. As viewed from a distance, the church will look pyramidal in shape, the total height being about 100 feet. The chief elevation will be towards Canmore-street. and the chief entrance is flanked on either side by fluted pilasters with foliaged capitals, and surmounted by heavy cornice. Internally the church will measure clear 45 feet across, and round five sides of the octagon a gallery will be erected. The church is expected to accommodate 800 people. A hall is also to be erected with accommodation for over 200. The total cost is expected to be 5,500. [Building News 2 December 1881 p738]

Burnt and subsequently demolished.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Canmore Street  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 51881 Journal reference 
Item 2 of 5October 1881 Advertisement for tendersArchitects appointed after competition and tenders advertised
Item 3 of 5December 1881  Tenders accepted
Item 4 of 51882 Foundation stone 
Item 5 of 5c. 1920  Heating and lighting installed

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 5Campbell DouglasArchitect, ValuerA1881  
Item 2 of 5Campbell Douglas & SellarsArchitectural practiceA1881  
Item 3 of 5James SellarsArchitect, ValuerA1881  
Item 4 of 5William Harvey RossArchitectA1881 As principal assistant to Campbell Douglas & Sellars
Item 5 of 5James Grant ShearerArchitectBc. 1920 Heating and lighting installed

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 5Architect XXVII p302
Item 2 of 5British Architect XVI p666
Item 3 of 5Building News XLI p738
Item 4 of 5Building News2 December 1881  p738
Item 5 of 5Dunfermline Journal29 October 1881   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSShearer and Annand Collection SA 1920/12/-2
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers William Harvey Ross: L v15 no1015