Basic Site Details

Name: Dalmahoy House and lodges
Town, district or village: Ratho
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Status: A listed
Grid ref:
Notes: Lodge is C listed. Information about the lodges is a complete mess and the drawings do not seem to match the dates given by HS. Check.

William Adam, 1725. 2-storey and raised basement, double-pile, rectangular-plan with projecting entrance block, classical house, addition of service wing and interior alterations by Alexander Laing in 1787, William Burn, 1830 and Brown and Wardrop, 1851. Later additions 20th century additions for hotel

W Adam, Vitruvius Scoticus (DATE). SO GD150/2407/40, 43, 58. GD150/2428/2/7, GD150/2436/3, GD150/2466/21, GD150/2467/14, 20. GD150/2468/4-5X, GD150/2469/9, GD150/3515/44 (information courtesy of RCAHMS). J Small, Castles and Mansions of the Lothians (1883). F H Groome, Ordnance Survey Gazetteer of Scotland (1897) p338. T Hannan, Famous Scottish Houses (1928) p81. H Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1995) p64. C McWilliam, Buildings of Scotland: Lothian (1978) pp166-168. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, (2013).el use

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Belvedere Original name

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Country House  


The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 617251728Build/constructionOriginal house. 'Buildings of Scotland' states it was finished in 1725.
Item 2 of 61787 AdditionAddition of service wing and interior alterations
Item 3 of 61830 Addition 
Item 4 of 61851  Alterations
Item 5 of 61896  North lodge
Item 6 of 6c. 1934  East Lodge alterations


Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 12William AdamArchitectD17251728'Buildings of Scotland' states it was finished in 1725
Item 2 of 12Alexander LaingArchitectE1787 Addition of service wing and interior alterations
Item 3 of 12William BurnArchitectF1830 Alterations
Item 4 of 12Brown & WardropArchitectural practiceA1851 Alterations
Item 5 of 12James Maitland WardropArchitectA1851 Alterations
Item 6 of 12Thomas Brown IIArchitectA1851 Alterations
Item 7 of 12Dunn & FindlayArchitectural practiceB1896 North lodge
Item 8 of 12James Bow DunnArchitectB1896 North lodge
Item 9 of 12James Leslie FindlayArchitectB1896 North lodge
Item 10 of 12George Legat MartinArchitectCc. 1934 Alterations to East Lodge
Item 11 of 12Herbert Gordon DunnArchitectCc. 1934 Alterations to East Lodge
Item 12 of 12J B Dunn & MartinArchitectural practiceCc. 1934 Alterations to East lodge


The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
Item 1 of 3Aitchison, MrsClient for 1930s work
Item 2 of 3Dalrymple, GeorgeClient for William Adam house
Item 3 of 3Morton, 16th Earl ofClient for Alexander Laing alterations


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
Item 1 of 4Adam, William1820Vitruvius Scoticus  Plate 72
Item 2 of 4Colvin, Howard2008A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 London: YUP. 4th edition 
Item 3 of 4Historic Scotland Lists     
Item 4 of 4McWilliam, Colin1978Lothian (The Buildings of Scotland)  pp57, 166-167

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 4Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register26976North lodge
Item 2 of 4Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register27021House
Item 3 of 4National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)Gifts and depositsGD 150/2407Letters 21, 38, 41. Also GD 150/2466/21 and 2467/14
Item 4 of 4National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSDunn and Findlay Collection MLD/233/1-2