Basic Site Details

Name: North British Rubber Factory, Castle Mills
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: C listed
Grid ref:
Notes: In 1915/6 the building was linked to an earlier 1870ís building that still survives.

The building is C listed and due to become a new base for the Edinburgh Printmakers.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Factory  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 71870s Build/construction 
Item 2 of 71893 AdditionNew workshops on corner of Fountainbridge and Gilmore Park.
Item 3 of 71903  Additions
Item 4 of 71917 AdditionAdditions to tyre making department
Item 5 of 71957 Destruction/demolition'demolition work almost complete' per Builder 20 Dec. 1957, p1112
Item 6 of 71957 Build/construction'₤3 million modernisation plan for the erection of a new 145,000 sq. ft. one-storey factory building in Edinburgh...demolition almost complete and work on the foundations begun. ...Messrs. George Davie, Crawford and Partners, Glasgow, are advising on technical matters for the new mechanical plant and Messrs. Strain and Robertson, Glasgow, on the steam boiler plant required for the new factory.' per Builder p1112
Item 7 of 7January 1969 Destruction/demolitionCHECK - building destroyed by fire in Jan 1969 (or was it 202750?)?
http://heritage.scotsman.com/historic-sites/Factory-goes-up-in-smoke.3464366.jp

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 7Charles Edward Tweedie (senior)ArchitectG1893 New workshops on corner of Fountainbridge and Gilmore Park.
Item 2 of 7Frank Lewis Worthington SimonArchitectG1893 New workshops on corner of Fountainbridge and Gilmore Park.
Item 3 of 7Simon & TweedieArchitectural practiceG1893 New workshops on corner of Fountainbridge and Gilmore Park.
Item 4 of 7Alexander Hunter CrawfordArchitectA1903 Additions
Item 5 of 7Frank Lewis Worthington SimonArchitectA1903 Additions
Item 6 of 7Simon & CrawfordArchitectural practiceA1903 Additions
Item 7 of 7Frank Edward Belcombe BlancArchitectB1917 Additions to tyre making department

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Builder23 March 1917CXII p200 (illustration)
Item 2 of 2Builder20 December 1957  '₤3m. Modernisation Plan Progress' p1112

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Edinburgh City ArchivesEdinburgh Dean of Guild Drawings dated 1893
Item 2 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register44936 
Item 3 of 3RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers Alexander Hunter Crawford: F v14 p68 no890 (microfilm reel 11)