Basic Site Details

Name: Craigiehall
Town, district or village: Cramond
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: There is correspondence from between James Morton and Tarbolton & Ochterlony dating from 1927-36 in the National Archives of Scotland but not yet inspected so unclear what this is about.

Cost of 1968 alteratiuons 650,000.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Villa  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Craigiehall, Queensferry Road (off)Yes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 816951699 or 1708Build/constructionOriginal villa built to the designs of Sir William Bruce
Item 2 of 81699 AdditionOrnamental gates
Item 3 of 8c. 1730 Alterations and additionsAlterations including new front doorway (removed 1852) and additions including north east pavilion (remodelled 1828). Also bridge in grounds.
Item 4 of 81828 Alterations and additionsDining room extension. North east pavilion remodelled. Colvin gives: 'addition to east and west fronts'
Item 5 of 81852 Alterations and additionsNorth offices constructed; alterations to roof (drawings dated September 1852 for latter). William Adam's new front doorway removed.
Item 6 of 8March 1926October 1926 Alterations. Also grotto and sundial
Item 7 of 819271936 Further work planned - unclear if executed
Item 8 of 81968 Build/constructionAlterations to command headquarters (main house) and housing in grounds.

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 15(Sir) William Bruce ArchitectEc. 1695c. 1708 
Item 2 of 15Tobias Bachop, Bauchop or BaakMasonD1699  
Item 3 of 15Alexander McGillArchitectG1708 Ornamental gates - in association with the Earl of Mar
Item 4 of 15William AdamArchitectBc. 1730 Alterations including new front doorway (removed 1852) and additions including north east pavilion (remodelled 1828). Also bridge in grounds.
Item 5 of 15William BurnArchitect 1828 Dining room extension. North east pavilion remodelled. Colvin gives: 'addition to east and west fronts'
Item 6 of 15David BryceArchitect 1852 North offices constructed; alterations to roof. William Adam's new front doorway altered.
Item 7 of 15(Sir) Robert Stodart LorimerArchitect 1926 Alterations. Also grotto and sundial
Item 8 of 15(Sir) Matthew Montgomerie OchterlonyArchitectA19271936Further work planned - unclear if executed
Item 9 of 15Harold Ogle TarboltonArchitectA19271936Further work planned - unclear if executed
Item 10 of 15Tarbolton & OchterlonyArchitectural practiceA19271936Further work planned - unclear if executed
Item 11 of 15Gibson, Laing & PartnersArchitectural practiceC1968 Alterations to command headquarters (main house) and housing in grounds.
Item 12 of 15James William LaingArchitectC1968 Alterations to command headquarters (main house) and housing in grounds.
Item 13 of 15John Mitchell WoodArchitectC1968 Alterations to command headquarters (main house) and housing in grounds.
Item 14 of 15Robert Gellatly Rigg BrownArchitectC1968 Alterations to command headquarters (main house) and housing in grounds.
Item 15 of 15William Brook SampsonArchitectC1968 Alterations to command headquarters (main house) and housing in grounds.

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 4Annandale, 2nd Earl ofClient for Sir William Bruce house
Item 2 of 4Hope-Vere, JamesClient for William Burn work
Item 3 of 4Morton, JamesClient for 1926 work
Item 4 of 4MPBWClient for 1968 work

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 6Adam, William1820Vitruvius Scoticus  Plates 86-87.
Item 2 of 6Colvin, Howard2008A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 London: YUP. 4th edition 
Item 3 of 6Dunbar, J G1970Sir William Bruce exhibition catalogue  nos 154, 165
Item 4 of 6Gifford, John, McWilliam, Colin and Walker, David M1984Edinburgh (The Buildings of Scotland) Harmondsworth: Penguin Books Ltdp591
Item 5 of 6RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   
Item 6 of 6Savage, Peter1980Lorimer and the Edinburgh Craft Designers Edinburgh: Paul Harris Publishing, 1980 (also paperback ed, London & Edinburgh: Steve Savage, 2005)p178

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 9Alnwick CastlePercy Archivesv.32, f.79vLetters regarding bridge.
Item 2 of 9Dalmeny HouseDalmeny House drawings Variant design by Sir William Bruce in portfolio. Later (later than William Adam's work) survey plan of Craigiehall in Dalmeny archives. Also William Burn drawings in portfolio.
Item 3 of 9Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register45432 
Item 4 of 9National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)Gifts and depositsGD 326/92 (also RHP 94505) 
Item 5 of 9National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)Gifts and depositsGD 29/1955/2 
Item 6 of 9National Archives of Scotland (NAS)Register of Deeds Durie volume 124 pp213-215
Item 7 of 9National Archives of Scotland (www.nas.gov.uk)National Register of ArchivesNRA Scotland list 2171At Raehills
Item 8 of 9National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSLorimer and Matthew Collection LOR E/117, 118, 119
Item 9 of 9National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSNMRS Photographic Archive WLD 11/41-48 copies of drawings in possession of Earl of Rosebery