|Eyre Place UP Church||Cost £8500.|
Original tower (by Starforth) unfinished; completed later to a different design.
Now a warehouse.
The United Presbyterian body have erected a large church in Eyre-place, occupying a splendid site forming the centre, of which a large crescent is the circumference. This church is also ante-galleried - ie it has only an end gallery, and by far the greater proportion of the audience are in the area, which is a plain rectangle of rather ungainly width. The congregation are admirably placed as regards the pulpit; but in order to give something like a tolerable appearance to the walls, they are pierced with so many and such large windows on all sides, that the interior is more like a conservatory than a church, and the largest or gable windows face the congregation. The front exhibits the usual arrangement, the gable being reduced in breadth by tower (not finished), and staircase at the other side, "all vertical lines," suggesting something very different from what meets the eye around the corner. The cost of erection was £7,000. [Building News 30 December 1881 p897-899]