Basic Site Details

Name: Balvonie
Town, district or village: Skelmorlie
City or county: Ayrshire
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: B listed
Grid ref:
Notes:  

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1House  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1Halketburn Road  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 41903 Build/constructionDate given by 'Buildings of Scotland'
Item 2 of 41905 Design exhibited 
Item 3 of 41950s Alteration/conversionConversion to conference centre
Item 4 of 420072008ProposedConversion to 5 flats

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 2Henry Edward CliffordArchitect 1904  
Item 2 of 2Robertson Design Practice B20072008Plans for conversion to flats

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Blyth, RobertLived in the house from February 1906 until his death in 1917 and two of his daughters continued to live there until it was sold in March 1921. The house was later owned by the Cockburn family and by the Salvation Army (as a conference centre) from the 1950s to about 2005. It is now in private hands.

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Academy Architecture1905 part 1 p100
Item 2 of 3Close, Rob and Riches, Anne2012The Buildings of Scotland: Ayrshire & Arran New Haven and London: Yale University Pressp613
Item 3 of 3Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts1905   486

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Ayrshire CouncilAyrshire County Council Building Byelaws Committee Minutes 4.8.1904 (house) and 1.12.1904 (stable etc.), Ayrshire Archives CO3/12/4/4 (information courtesy of Rob Close).
Item 2 of 3Courtesy of Mary Blyth, great granddaughter of the first ownerInformation sent via DSA website Sent August 2009, including links to North Ayrshire Council Planning documents regarding conversion to flats (e.g. http://www.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/ChiefExec/CommRA07.nsf/e9ee67f48fbb9003802569d700533758/9e5025dc984f691d00257546005699b9?OpenDocument)
Item 3 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register50040