Basic Site Details

Name: St John Street Church
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: Operations have just been commenced for the erection of a church at the northwest angle of South-Back of Canongate and St. John-street. Messrs Anderson and Browne, Wemyss-place, are the architects. The plan of the body of the church is T-shaped, the extremity of the long arm being octagonal; and against the angled sides being set circular stairs leading to the galleries, and a porch and vestibule which form the principal entrance. The nave is covered in one span with a hammer-beam roof, and is ceiled with a narrow boarding at the level of the collars. Behind the pulpit, completing the cruciform plan of the church, are an organ and choir gallery, and under a vestry and lavatories. The church will be seated for 875 people, exclusive of the choir, 535 being accommodated in the area, and 340 in the gallery. The estimated cost is 4,000, consequently there are no purely decorative features. The walls will be built of square snecked rubble, with scabbled stone dressings, and the roof covered with plain red tiles. Messrs William Beattie and Sons are the principal contractors, and Mr T Bryning acts as clerk of the works. [Building News 15 April 1881 p434]


Now part of Moray House

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Church  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1St John StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 118811882Build/constructionAltered since as part of Moray House.

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3(Sir) Robert Rowand AndersonArchitectA1881 Altered since as part of Moray House.
Item 2 of 3Anderson & BrowneArchitectural practiceA1881  
Item 3 of 3George Washington BrowneArchitectA1881  

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this building:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Builder23 April 1881XL  
Item 2 of 3Builder7 January 1882XLII  
Item 3 of 3Building News15 April 1881  p434

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 1Edinburgh University LibraryAnderson Collection (Plans and drawings)