Basic Site Details

Name: Rock Lodge
Town, district or village: West Ferry
City or county: Dundee
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status: Demolished
Grid ref:
Notes: The Bishop of Brechin moved, that was to 'Rock Lodge', which, at the time, circa 1947/8, was 16 or 18 Dundee Road, as Ravenscraig, immediately west, was 12 and the chaffeur's house was 14. 'Taycliff' was next in an eastward direction and was 20. 'Rock Lodge' (formerly Mrs. Tosh) became Forbes Court and was demolished in the 1950s. Of course, it's principal feature was its circular shape, which was westmost and would not have been considered suitable for the addition of a wing, given the relative normality which still existed at that time.

Alternative Names

The following alternative names are associated with this building/design:
 NameCurrent name?Notes
Item 1 of 1Forbes CourtYes 

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1House  

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 21871  (NMRS give 1870 for date)
Item 2 of 21950s Destruction/demolition 

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 1Charles EdwardArchitect 1871(?) (1870 is date given in NMRS)

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 1Edward, CharlesFor himself

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 2Information courtesy of Edmund Raphael-BeldowskiInformation via website Sent January 2009
Item 2 of 2National Monuments Record of Scotland/NMRS, RCAHMSNMRS Architects Index