Basic Site Details

Name: Edinburgh City Club
City or county: Edinburgh
Country: Scotland
Parish:  
Status:  
Grid ref:
Notes: The Bryce works contained a fine new entrance hall to the upper floors containing decorative plasterwork caryatids and arched recesses. A very fine plaster ceiling in the shop on the ground floor was designed by him in 1850 and executed by J.Ramage & Sons, modelled by W.Gillies and the foreman plasterer was the father of William Millar, in whose 1897 work 'Plasterwork, plain and decorative', an illustration of it survives.
Parts of the Bryce work survive above suspended ceilings.

Building Type Classification

The building is classified under the following categories:
 ClassificationOriginal classification?Notes
Item 1 of 1Club  

Street Addresses

The following street addresses are associated with this building:
 AddressMain entrance?Notes
Item 1 of 1123, Princes StreetYes 

Events

The following date-based events are associated with this building:
 FromToEvent typeNotes
Item 1 of 31850  Alterations to ground floor interior by Bryce
Item 2 of 318721873Reconstruction 
Item 3 of 31873 Design exhibitedBeattie's reconstruction

People

Design and Construction

The following individuals or organisations have carried out design/construction work. Where architects or practices worked together, matching letters appear beside their names in the Partnership Group column.
 NameRolePartnership GroupFromToNotes
Item 1 of 3David BryceArchitect 1850 Alterations to ground floor interior
Item 2 of 3George Beattie & SonArchitectural practiceA18721873Reconstruction
Item 3 of 3William Hamilton BeattieArchitectA18721873Reconstruction

Clients

The following individuals or organisations have commissioned work on this building/design:
 NameNotes
Item 1 of 2City ClubClient for 1872 work
Item 2 of 2Edinburgh Water CompanyClient for extension to shopfront.

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this building:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1RSA1873   786

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this building:
 SourceArchive nameSource catalogue no.Notes
Item 1 of 3Courtesy of Steven RobbInformation via website  
Item 2 of 3Edinburgh City ArchivesEdinburgh Dean of Guild drawings by Bryce dated Jan 1851 for extension to shopfront.
Item 3 of 3Historic Environment ScotlandListed Buildings Register29513