Basic Biographical Details

Name: John Scott
Designation: Wright
Died: 1666
Bio Notes: John Scott was a leading master wright in Edinburgh. He was a burgess from 1636 and a member of the Town Council in 1653. In 1636 he was given the post of master wheelwright in Edinburgh Castle, master wright to the burgh of Edinburgh the following year and received the post of King's Master Wright in 1641 which was to last the duration of his life.

He was involved with the designs and construction of the timber roof at the Parliament Hall in 1634-9 and of the Tron Church in 1636-47. He was sent from Edinburgh to Berwick-upon-Tweed to consider a site for the new church there. It was designed by John Young.

He died in 1666. This is recorded in the probate of his will in the Edinburgh Commissary Court on 13 June 1688. His son James Scott succeeded him as master wright.

Buildings and Designs

This wright was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 21634Parliament House, Supreme Courts of Scotland  EdinburghScotlandTimber roof
Item 2 of 21636Tron Church  EdinburghScotland 


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this wright:
Item 1 of 1Colvin, Howard2008A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 London: YUP. 4th edition 

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this wright:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Berwick-upon-Tweed ArchivesGuild Minute BookBook no 12