Sir James Clerk was born in 1709, the son of Sir John Clerk, 2nd Baronet and his second wife Janet Inglis. He studied law at Leyden in 1731-2 and visited Rome in 1732-4. Like his father he was a competent amateur architect and a cultivated man. One of his main architectural contributions was the new house at Penicuik along with the stable block. He also designed a circular library which was never built. A number of other buildings have been attributed to him.
He died in 1783.
Buildings and Designs
This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):