Basic Biographical Details

Name: Charles Murray
Designation: Architect
Born: 28 September 1864
Died: 12 April 1941
Bio Notes: Charles Murray was born on 28 September 1864 in Alford, Aberdeenshire, the son of Peter Murray, master carpenter. As a sixteen year old he moved to Aberdeen and trained as a land surveyor staying with his aunt along with his sister Sarah who was an art student. Between this date and 1888 when he emigrated to South Africa he studied architecture and civil engineering reputedly at the University of Aberdeen.

He settled in Johannesburg and formed a partnership as Philip & Murray (Philip as yet unidentified), the practice becoming Philip, Carmichael & Murray and later Philip Murray & Leck. In 1891 Murray left for Mashonaland but returned to Johannesburg after a short period and returned to the Transvaal, becoming a surveyor at the Ferreira, Wemmer & Worcester Gold Mines. In 1899 he was manager of New Florida Mine and York Mine at Krugersdorp.

Murray served with the Second Railway Pioneer Regiment during the Anglo-Boer War. After the cease of hostilities he became Deputy Inspector of Mines for the Transvaal Government. He was a capable admisitrator and rose rapidly in the Government service. In 1912 he was appointed to the post of Secretary for the Public Works Department which he held until retirement.

Further details of his career are available - see

Murray published several volumes of poetry in the Scots tongue.

Hamewith (Aberdeen 1900)
A sough o' war (London 1917)
In country places (London 1920)
Collected poems (London 1927)

He returned to Scotland after retirement in 1924 and died in Banchory on 12 April 1941.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2ScotlandPrivate 1888 
Item 2 of 2South AfricaPrivate/business1888  


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
Item 1 of Website of artefacts, for the recording of South African buildingsCourtesy of Frank Gaylard