Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Frederic (Derry) James Alexander Gilmour |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||7 May 1942 |
|Died: ||29 October 2013 |
|Bio Notes: ||Frederic (‘Derry’) James Alexander Gilmour was born in Liverpool on 7 May 1942. His family moved to Kirkcaldy when he was a year old as his grandfather was Provost in the town. Gilmour was educated at Gordonstoun and studied Mathematics and Natural Philosophy at the University of St Andrews in the early 1960s. He subsequently studied for the diploma in architecture at Edinburgh College of Art. He was awarded travelling scholarships in 1966, 1967 and 1968 and a post graduate scholarship to study economic issues of conservation. He was elected ARIBA in 1970. |
Between 1970 and 1972 Gilmour worked with the South Eastern Regional Hospital Board. In 1973 he formed a partnership with David John Stamp as Gilmour & Stamp which lasted three years. He moved to the practice of Roth & Partners, 42 George Street, Edinburgh and in the early 1980s he joined Kneale & Russell where he worked on the renovation of Fort George as the battalion headquarters for the Army. This was followed in the mid-1980s by a period spent working for the Motor Industry Research Association in Nuneaton, Warwickshire on building anechoic chambers.
In the late 1980s Gilmour had a post with J & F Johnston, of Leith and he was involved with the conversion of Longmore House for the new headquarters for Historic Scotland and also worked on the adaptation of the old furniture warehouse for the headquarters of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. In 1997 he joined the staff of Historic Scotland and managed the care of properties and monuments throughout Shetland, Orkney and the Western Isles. He remained with Historic Scotland until 2002. It is not yet clear what employment Gilmour had in the years 2002-2005 but in 2005 he had a post with Fife Council where he worked on town hall restoration and on the Council’s blue light services’ buildings and related facilities. He retired in 2011 aged 69.
Outwith his work Gilmour enjoyed travel and went with fellow members of the profession on several architectural trips abroad. He was a keen hill-walker and enjoyed shooting. He supervised the restoration of the canons at Fort George.
He died on 29 October 2013, survived by his wife Sarah, his five children and two grandchildren.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|42, George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1979|| || |
|29, Alva Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1984 *|| || |
|5, St John's Place, Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1994|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1974||24 Grassmarket|| || ||Edinburgh||Scotland||Refurbishment|
|1994||Longmore Hospital for Incurables||Newington|| ||Edinburgh||Scotland||3-storey U-plan range added to form enclosed courtyard to rear. Conversion to offices.|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1975||RIBA Directory of practices|| || || |
|RIBA||1979||Directory of members|| || || |
|RIBA||1984||RIBA Directory of members|| || || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIAS Quarterly||2014|| ||Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS)||Spring|