Basic Biographical Details

Name: Matthew Smith & Partners
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1961
Ended: 1972
Bio Notes: This practice was formed from B L Matthew & Haswell-Smith in 1961. Haswell-Smith started his own practice in Nairobi, Kenya in 1954 and took Ian McFarlane in as partner in 1957. They closed the firm in 1960 and on returning to Edinburgh Haswell-Smith joined Bernard Laurie Matthew and set up practice at 15 Queen Street initially as Matthew & Haswell-Smith but after a year this becamse Matthew, Smith & Partners.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 115, Queen Street, Edinburgh , ScotlandBusiness19611972 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 341961Commercial premises for Dunfermline Co-operative SocietyRosyth FifeScotland 
Item 2 of 341961Commercial premises for Dunfermline Co-operative SocietyCrossford FifeScotland 
Item 3 of 341961Oak Hall Restaurant  EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 341961Offices and laboratory for United GlassPortobello EdinburghScotland 
Item 5 of 341963AshbrookWardie EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 6 of 341964Fox Covert HotelClermiston EdinburghScotlandRedevelopment of hotel
Item 7 of 341964Restaurant, The ShoreLeith Edinburgh Scotland 
Item 8 of 341965Fernie Castle  FifeScotlandRenovation and conservation
Item 9 of 341965Oxgangs Community CentreFairmilehead EdinburghScotland 
Item 10 of 34196620 custom built Norwegian log houses and hotel, Glen DerbyKirkmichael PerthScotland 
Item 11 of 341966Dechmont Infant SchoolBroxburn West LothianScotland 
Item 12 of 341967Factory for Newton Manufacturing CompanyEast Kilbride LanarkshireScotland 
Item 13 of 341967Log housing for Forestry Commission   Scotland 
Item 14 of 341968Advance FactoryFauldhouse West LothianScotland 
Item 15 of 341968Torphichen Community CentreTorphichen West LothianScotland 
Item 16 of 341969Croftmalloch Primary SchoolWhitburn West LothianScotland 
Item 17 of 341969Housing Development, Mortonhall  EdinburghScotland 
Item 18 of 341969Salvation Army HallBo'ness / Borrowstouness West LothianScotland 
Item 19 of 341969Salvation Army HallFalkirk StirlingshireScotland 
Item 20 of 341969Salvation Army HallStenhousemuir West LothianScotland 
Item 21 of 341969Salvation Army Meeting HallTranent East LothianScotland 
Item 22 of 341970Housing for Lochgelly Burgh CouncilLochgelly FifeScotland 
Item 23 of 341970Mortonhall House and stables  EdinburghScotlandConversion of stables
Item 24 of 341970Redevelopment of TownhillDunfermline FifeScotlandRedevelopment
Item 25 of 34197114-16 York Place  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 26 of 341971HousingPrestonpans East LothianScotland 
Item 27 of 341971Housing, Tannage BraeKirriemuir AngusScotland 
Item 28 of 341971Island site building and mercat crossInverkeithing FifeScotlandRestoration
Item 29 of 341971Sheltered housingDuns BerwickshireScotland 
Item 30 of 341971Sheltered housingKirriemuir AngusScotland 
Item 31 of 341971Sheltered HousingMonifieth AngusScotland 
Item 32 of 341971The Den Linear ParkKirriemuir AngusScotlandLayout
Item 33 of 341971Warehouse, Jamaica Street  EdinburghScotlandConversion to offices
Item 34 of 341972Office block  EdinburghScotland 

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Courtesy of Hamish Haswell-SmithInformation sent via 'Contact Us' on website Sent October 2010