Basic Biographical Details

Name: Arthur Thomas Erroll Hay (Sir)
Designation: Architect
Born: 13 April 1909
Died: 3 February 1993
Bio Notes: (Sir) Arthur Thomas Erroll Hay was born on 13 April 1909, the son of Sir Lewis John Erroll Hay of Park and his wife Lizabel Macdonald of Skeabost, Skye; his father had returned from India in 1902 after a period as manager of the Macdonalds’ Dooria plantation in Bihar. He was educated at Fettes College 1923-27, inheriting the title in May 1923 at the age of fourteen.

He studied at the Liverpool School of Architecture from 1927 to 1931 and at the Architectural Association from 1932 to 1934. His mother had moved to London in 1933. He spent six months in a Scottish practice gaining office experience as well as spending time in a London office and two and a half months in private practice by the time of his election as ARIBA on 1 March 1935, proposed by C H Reilly, Hugh Patrick Guarin Maule, and William John Palmer-Jones.

In March 1935 he married a widow seven years his senior, Hertha Bilheller (née Stoelzle, an Austrian glass-making heiress). This marriage did not survive the outbreak of World War II during which Sir Arthur was first recruited to Civil Defence and then to the Royal Engineers in which he was commissioned lieutenant. In 1943 he married Rosemary Evelyn Anne Lambert (née Waymouth, known as Anne), daughter of Vice-Admiral Waymouth, and spent the years 1944-45 building bridges in France and Germany for the allied advance.

At the end of the war, Sir Arthur joined the architectural staff of London County Council from which he transferred to the Ministry of Housing and Local Government. He retired in 1974 as superintending architect for Greater London and was awarded the Imperial Service Order in that year.

Sir Arthur had an interest in family history and in conservation. Before World War I he made enquiries about buying back the castle of Park and prepared a scheme for it but was never able to proceed. In the post-war years the Countess of Erroll appointed him ‘Keeper of Delgatie’ in which capacity he made temporary repairs to that castle before Captain John Hay of Hayfield took over the task. No other Scottish work is known.

He retired in 1977 and lived at Crondall, Hampshire. He died there on 3 February 1993 and was buried in the churchyard, survived by his wife and his only son (by his first marriage), Sir John Erroll Audley Hay.

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3Hugh Patrick Guarin Maule1 March 1935For Associateship
Item 2 of 3William John Palmer-Jones1 March 1935For Associateship
Item 3 of 3(Sir) Charles Herbert Reilly1 March 1935For Associateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 11957Delgaty CastleTurriff AberdeenshireScotlandTemporary repairs with Leo Durnin as consultant.

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Burke, ____ (Mosley, Charles, ed) Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage: Clan Chiefs, Scottish Feudal Barons107th EditionWilmington, Delaware: Burke's Peerage & Gentry LLC 
Item 2 of 3Hay, Sir John2005The Hay of Park Family Amended edition 
Item 3 of 3RIBA1948The RIBA Kalendar 1948-1949 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers A No 5667 (Combined Box 94)