Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Balfour & Turner |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1885 |
|Ended: ||1923 |
|Bio Notes: ||The practice of Balfour & Turner was formed in 1885. |
Eustace James Anthony Balfour was born on 8 June 1854, the fifth and youngest son of James Maitland Balfour of Whittinghame, East Lothian and Lady Blanche Cecil, the second daughter of the second Marquis of Salisbury, and a sister of the third Marquis, four times Prime Minister. He was educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Cambridge where he graduated in 1877. As an undergraduate he joined the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings and took a keen interest in architecture. After leaving Cambridge he undertook a two year studentship rather than an articled pupillage in the office of Basil Champneys. He commenced practice on his own account in 1879. In 1885 he entered into partnership with Hugh Thackeray Turner, then secretary of the SPAB. In 1890 Balfour was appointed architect and surveyor to the Grosvenor estates of the Duke of Westminster. Balfour was elected FRIBA in January 1892, his proposers being John McVicar Anderson, Arthur Cates and Robert William Edis.
Hugh Thackeray Turner, generally known simply as Thackeray Turner, was born in 1853. He was educated at Newbury Grammar School and trained in the office of Sir George Gilbert Scott . Thereafter he was assistant to John Oldrid Scott and George Gilbert Scott junior in succession. In 1882 he was appointed paid secretary to the SPAB and commenced independent practice in London, practising alone for three years before entering into partnership with Eustace Balfour.
Somewhat reluctantly Turner agreed to being admitted FRIBA in January 1906 having been persuaded that the RIBA had accepted SPAB principles at least in general terms. His proposers were John Belcher, Aston Webb and Sir John Taylor.
Balfourís health failed in 1909 and he had to retire from the surveyorship of the Grosvenor estate which was taken over by Edward Wimperis om 1910. Balfour died in February 1911, and in the same year Turner took Albert Reginald Powys , his successor as secretary of the SPAB, into partnership. The practice title of Balfour & Turner was retained until Turnerís retirement in 1923.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|20, Buckingham Street, Adelphi, London, England||Business||1885|| || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1910||Whittingehame House||Whittingehame|| ||East Lothian||Scotland||Alterations|
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|British Architectural Library, RIBA||2001||Directory of British Architects 1834-1914|| || || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Architect and Building News||17 December 1937|| || ||p333 (Obituary of Thackeray Turner)|
|RIBA Journal||10 January 1938|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||p258 (Obituary of Thackeray Turner)|
|The Guardian||15 February 1911|| || ||p4, column 2 (Obituary of Balfour)|
|The Times||15 February 1911|| || ||p11 (Obituary of Balfour)|
|The Times||15 December 1937|| || ||Obituary of Thackeray Turner|