Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||L J Couves & Partners |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: || |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||The practice was founded in Newcastle in 1923 by Leonard James Couves, FRIBA (1878-1951). He was born and trained in Gravesend and worked in Enfield before moving to Newcastle to work for Merz & McLennan 1915-1923 who were electrical engineers with much work on Tyneside including the electrification of the suburban railways. As a result Couves' own practice specialised in designing electrical projects and in industrial buildings. |
Couves' best known building was Carliol House, the Newcastle HQ of the North East Electric Supply Company on which he collaborated with Sir John Burnet, Tait & Lorne 1930-32. Couves' brother was General Manager of NEESCO which perhaps helped secure this commission. Probably he was supervising the construction because he was a specialist in modern steel frame construction techniques after a visit to the USA.
Leonard's son Dudley Leonard Couves, Dip Arch (Newcastle), FRIBA (1910-1988) became senior partner in 1951. The firm benefitted from the rash of new power stations which were built after WWII. When this work dried up the firm moved into transport projects including Newcastle Metro, Newcastle Airport and the Heathrow Rapid Link and also the Metro Shopping Centre in Gateshead. Non family members came in as partners especially after Dudley largely retired in 1969 and the firm was restyled Couves Ltd in 1989. The practice was still operating in 1992, but it seems to have closed by c2000.
Biographical note researched and written by Graham Potts, August 2012.
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1955||Chapelcross Nuclear Power Station||Annan|| ||Dumfriesshire||Scotland||As associate architects|
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Gifford, John||1996||Dumfries and Galloway (The Buildings of Scotland)|| || ||p181|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIBA Journal||October 1988||v95||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||p103|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Courtesy of Graham Potts||Information sent via 'Contact Us' on website|| || |