Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||James Houston Fisher |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||c. 1932 |
|Died: ||9 December 1990 |
|Bio Notes: ||James Houston Fisher was elected a student member of the RIBA in 1953. His home address was in St John's Town of Dalry about this time. He studied at the School of Art in Glasgow and was elected ARIBA in 1958. He studied for a post graduate diploma in town planning after his initial degree. He had completed this second degree by about 1959 after which he moved to work in Harlow New Town. He joined Scott Brownrigg & Turner in 1963 and became a partner in 1968. |
When the firm decided to open a Glasgow office later that year Fisher was the only partner interested in moving to Scotland. The office he opened was small, but soon developed an excellent reputation among shrewd commercial clients, who appreciated his intellect, practicality and ability to produce soundly thought-out buildings, on time and within budget. Each member of the technical staff was encouraged to run his or her own projects, largely unaided apart from careful monitoring by Fisher. In 1980, the firm employed around 15 people, but handled a very large percentage of Glasgow’s commercial work. It was well-respected and profitable, thanks to the skills and personality of Fisher, aided by his carefully chosen staff. He built the practice up from these very small beginnings in Scotland to an office with staff of more than 80 after the merger with Keppie Henderson. He was joint senior partner from 1987.
He designed in what is described by his obituarist as 'his own understated modern style'. He was also very interested in architectural history and this is reflected in his sensitive restorations.
The work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh always held special interest for him and he bought an early Mackintosh house which he fitted out and furnished in a largely original style. He was also involved with the practicalities of converting three houses in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Fisher died on 9 December 1990, survived by his wife Sheila, son William and daughter Helen.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Bank House, St John's Town of Dalry, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland||Private||c. 1954|| || |
|122 The Hides, Harlow, Essex, England||Private||1959 *|| || |
|118, Broadfield, Harlow, Essex, England|| ||1960|| || |
|8, Poplar Walk, Farnham, Surrey, England||Private||1966 *|| || |
|25, Oldhall Drive, Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire, Scotland||Private||1970 *|| || |
|32, London Road, Guildford, Surrey, England||Private/business(?)||1979 *|| || |
|4, Fitzroy Place, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1987|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1954||RIBA Kalendar 1953-54|| || || |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|RIBA||1979||Directory of members|| || || |
|RIBA||1987||RIBA Directory of Members 1987|| || || |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||9 December 1960|| || ||'Competition Result - Council Offices, Dumbarton, for Dunbarton County Council' pp1066-1071|
|RIAS Newsletter||February 1991||v2, no6|| ||Death note|
|RIBA Journal||November 1990|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||Obituary by John Holmes.|