Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Harvey Scott & Partners |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||c. 1976 |
|Ended: ||1996 |
|Bio Notes: ||David Harvey was born on 6 July 1908. He was educated at Daniel Stewart's and was articled to Thomas Forbes Maclennan of Henry & Maclennan, Edinburgh, in 1925, studying at Edinburgh College of Art. He undertook a number of study trips, including a week at Durham Cathedral in 1930 and a month visiting modern buildings in Amsterdam in 1931. In the following year he gained his diploma, passing the RIBA Professional Practice exam later that year. He became a student member of the Edinburgh Architectural Association in the same year and was admitted ARIBA early the next, his proposers being Maclennan, John Begg and James Alexander Arnott. He then joined the office of T P Marwick & Son where he and Philip McManus designed a number of remarkable modern buildings under the supervision of Thomas Waller Marwick: these led to a major role in the Glasgow Empire Exhibition of 1938. |
By 1939 Harvey seems to have moved to Cornwall but either during or just after the Second World War he joined the staff of the Scottish Office. In the 1950s he left to found the very successful partnership of D Harvey & A Scott (later David Harvey, Alex Scott & Associates), based at 2 Lynedoch Place, Glasgow.
In his later years Harvey lived in Lanark Road, Edinburgh. He died on 10 June 1975. After his death Harvey Scott & Associates became Harvey Scott & Partners and later became Harvey Scott Gynn & Duff, but in 1996 it split again into two parts as Harvey & Scott Gynn & Duff, and S T Gynn & G C Duff. The latter practice was assisted by Arthur Ellams.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1976||Wallace Scott Tailoring Institute||Cathcart|| ||Glasgow||Scotland||Alterations including new glazing and new computer suite. U plan in original building was also filled in and parapets removed.|
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Williamson, Riches, Higgs||1990||Glasgow (The Buildings of Scotland)|| || ||p541|