Basic Biographical Details

Name: John Mitchell Wood
Designation: Architect
Born: 25 July 1920
Died: 11 April 1980
Bio Notes: John Mitchell Wood was born on 25 July 1920, the son of James Wood, master baker, and his wife, Phyllis Mitchell. He studied at the School of Architecture, Edinburgh College of Art. He was admitted ARIBA in 1950. He was a partner in Gibson Laing & Partners by 1965.

He died on 11 April 1980 aged 59 at Milesmark Hospital, Dunfermline. He was survived by his wife Helen Elizabeth Wight Smith and at least one son, James, also an architect, who lived in North Queensferry. Like his father James was a partner with Gibson Laing.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 3Helenwood/141, Main Street, Crossgates, Dunfermline, Fife, ScotlandPrivateBefore 19501980 
Item 2 of 35, West Maitland Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness(?)1979  
Item 3 of 31, Bridgeview, Whinneyknowe, North Queensferr, Fife, ScotlandPrivate/business1981 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Gibson, Laing & PartnersBefore 1965After 1980Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 151958Bryan's SchoolEasthouses, Dalkeith MidlothianScotland 
Item 2 of 151958Police StationBathgate West LothianScotland 
Item 3 of 151959Dalkeith Colliery, BathsDalkeith MidlothianScotland 
Item 4 of 151962Farm buildings including Oatridge  West LothianScotland 
Item 5 of 151962Transport Depot  EdinburghScotland 
Item 6 of 151963The Merlin licensed premisesMorningside EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 151964Glencorse BarracksPenicuik MidlothianScotlandAlterations? additions?
Item 8 of 151965Diagnostic Centre  EdinburghScotland 
Item 9 of 151965Shopping developmentWishaw LanarkshireScotland 
Item 10 of 151967Moray House Training College  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 11 of 151968CraigiehallCramond EdinburghScotlandAlterations to command headquarters (main house) and housing in grounds.
Item 12 of 151968Paper MillPowderhall EdinburghScotland 
Item 13 of 151968Royal Naval EstablishmentRosyth FifeScotlandOffices
Item 14 of 151968Transport officesShrubhill EdinburghScotland 
Item 15 of 151969Factory for Glasgow ButchersCambuslang LanarkshireScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 7RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 2 of 7RIBA1955Kalendar 1954-1955   
Item 3 of 7RIBA1960The RIBA Kalendar 1959-19601959-1960  
Item 4 of 7RIBA1965The RIBA Kalendar   
Item 5 of 7RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   
Item 6 of 7RIBA1980Directory of Practices 1980   
Item 7 of 7RIBA1990RIBA Directory of Members   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1H M Register HouseDeath Register