Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Andrew P K Wright |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1947 |
|Died: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Andrew P K Wright was born in Walsall, Staffordshire in 1947, the son of Harold Maurice Wright, architect and senior partner in Harvey & Wicks. He was educated at Queen Maryís Grammar School in Walsall and studied architecture at the School of Architecture, University of Liverpool, gaining experience during the vacations in his fatherís office and in other leading Birmingham offices including Kelly & Surman and Peter Hing & Jones. Wright graduated in 1970 with a First Class Honours and was awarded the Holland Hannen and Cubitts Prize. |
After graduation Wright joined the Liverpool office of Weightman & Bullen working on a number of schools in the north west of England and the Midlands and was involved in the design of a Roman Catholic church. In 1972 he moved to Edinburgh, working initially with Rowand Anderson Kininmonth & Paul with a view to assisting on the opera house project but moved a year later to the office of Basil Spence Glover & Ferguson where he first worked on the Abbotsinch airport project . He later was appointed project architect for one element of the Scottish Widows building and later project architect for the new Royal Bank building in Princes Street.
In 1978 he decided to relocate to the countryside and was appointed to run the Forres office of Law & Dunbar-Naismith, becoming a partner with the practice in 1983 when Maurice Batten and Colin Ross also joined as partners, the name of the practice becoming The Law & Dunbar-Nasmith Partnership at that time. The portfolio of work undertaken by the practice expanded from country houses, theatres and conservation work to commercial work for developers and work for local authorities and rural housing associations. Besides the large project listed below he was in charge of a number of commissions for new country houses and lodges - notably those on the Strathconon, Dunmaglass and Kildrummy estates. Wright was promoted to Practice Chairman but resigned in 2001 to undertake consultancy work.
Wright has been active in professional matters. He was president of the Inverness Architectural Association from 1986-88; President of the RIAS from 1995-97; and has served on the RIBA and RIAS Councils and in the 1990s was a delegate to the Architects' Council of Europe. He has also been a member and chair of the Conservation Committee of the RIAS and Membership Convener.
Wright has a range of appointments to his name including Diocesan Architect for the Episcopal Diocese of Moray Ross and Caithness, member of the Ancient Monuments Board, member of the Royal Fine Art Commission, from 1997 to 2005, member of the Historic Scotland Advisory Committee and the Transition Advisory Board up to 2016, member of the Conservation Committee of the NTS from 2007-2011 and a number of others.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|16, Moy House Court, Forres, Morayshire, Scotland||Private/business|| || || |
|130, High Street, Forres, Morayshire, Scotland||Business||Late 1970s|| || |
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Allen, Nic (ed.)|| ||Scottish Architects in Conservation|| || ||p69|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Andrew P K Wright||Information via website|| ||CV sent to Dictionary January 2017.|
|Sent to DSA by email||Information from AHRC/RCAHMS Spence project per David W Walker and Clive Fenton|| ||Clive Fenton's research notes (sent July 2010): suggestion that Wright worked for Spence firm at some point.|