Basic Biographical Details

Name: Ian Burke Associates
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Before 1972
Ended: After 1975
Bio Notes: Ian David Burke graduated BA and obtained a diploma in town planning at Manchester University. He was elected ARIBA in 1940. In 1950 he was working in Dundee. Ian Burke Associates was formed before 1970. At that time Burke was the sole partner. By 1980 John B Taylor, James Springford and Ian G McGill (this must be cross checked) had joined the partnership.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 521, Ainslie Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1970 *After 1975 
Item 2 of 5London, EnglandBusinessc. 1975 Branch office
Item 3 of 511, South Tay Street, Dundee, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1980 *After 1985 
Item 4 of 510, Belford Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1980 *After 1990 
Item 5 of 527, Sandyford Place, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1985 * Branch office in Glasgow from 1975 - not sure if at this address

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5John James Springford19732000PartnerWorking as both architect and planner
Item 2 of 5James CunninghamBefore 1975 Partner 
Item 3 of 5John Brander TaylorBefore 1975After 1990Partner 
Item 4 of 5Thomas Donaldson1980s Architect 
Item 5 of 5Ian David BurkeBefore 1972 Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 431969Shops, 118-136 Rose Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 2 of 431970125 Princes Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 431971107 Princes Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 43197230 and 31 Queen Street  EdinburghScotlandInteriors removed and doorpiece of no 31 restored
Item 5 of 431972Professional & Civil Service Supply Association  EdinburghScotlandExterior restored to Burnet's original design
Item 6 of 431972Shops, 107-109 Rose Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 431972Wedderburn Building  DundeeScotland 
Item 8 of 431973Telecommunications Centre  DundeeScotland 
Item 9 of 431974Procurator Fiscal's office  DundeeScotland 
Item 10 of 431975Museum and office complex for British Inland WaterwaysMaryhill GlasgowScotland 
Item 11 of 431975Offices, Queen Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 12 of 431975Offices, South St Andrew Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 13 of 431975Shopping complex  GlasgowScotland 
Item 14 of 431975Town Centre project for Rank City Wall  AberdeenScotland 
Item 15 of 43Before 1975Dragonara Hotel  EdinburghScotlandListed as one of Burke's jobs in RIBA Directory 1975 as 'Hotel & housing at Belford Road for International Caledonian Assets'
Item 16 of 43Before 1975Hotel (and housing?), Braehead  EdinburghScotland 
Item 17 of 43Before 1975Offices, George Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 18 of 43Before 1975Shopping CentreBarnton EdinburghScotland 
Item 19 of 43Before 1975Shopping development, Buchanan Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 20 of 43Before 1975Town Centre developmentCoatbridge LanarkshireScotland 
Item 21 of 43c. 1975Ingliston Exhibition and Leisure CentreIngliston EdinburghScotland 
Item 22 of 43c. 1975Shopping Centre for Scottish Metropolitan Property Co.Kirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 23 of 431976HGV training centre  DundeeScotland 
Item 24 of 431976HousingShettleston Glasgow Refurbishment
Item 25 of 431977Multi-storey housing, Hardgate and Gairn Terrace  AberdeenScotland 
Item 26 of 431977Offices and industrial complexPaisley RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 27 of 431977Shopping CentrePollok GlasgowScotland 
Item 28 of 43197811-17 South St Andrew Street  EdinburghScotland 
Item 29 of 431978Abbeyfield retirement homePerth PerthshireScotlandAlteration to earlier villa and new block added?
Item 30 of 431978Hunting Oilfield headquarters and factoryPortlethen AberdeenScotland 
Item 31 of 431978James Keiller & Sons Factory  DundeeScotlandRefurbishment of offices
Item 32 of 431980North British Hotel  GlasgowScotlandRedevelopment
Item 33 of 431982Bield residential housing blockPerth PerthshireScotland 
Item 34 of 431982Supermarket, ShillinghillAlloa ClackmannanshireScotland 
Item 35 of 431983Exchange House  GlasgowScotland 
Item 36 of 431984British Waterways Board pavilion  GlasgowScotland 
Item 37 of 431986Glasgow Municipal Buildings  GlasgowScotlandArchitect for new office annexe.
Item 38 of 431987Opera House, Moncrieff natural history museum, studio and boys and girls hallPerth PerthshireScotlandFlats now at no 60.
Item 39 of 431989Tesco supermarketBo'ness (Borrowstouness) West LothianScotland 
Item 40 of 431989Town centre redevelopmentPerth PerthshireScotlandTown Centre redevelopment
Item 41 of 431993Redford Barracks housing  EdinburghScotland 
Item 42 of 431994Meadowside Halls  DundeeScotland 
Item 43 of 431995Maryfield Sports Complex  DundeeScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Allen, Nic (ed.) Scottish Architects in Conservation  p17
Item 2 of 2RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970