Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Frederick William Bolton Charles |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||15 March 1912 |
|Died: ||August 2002 |
|Bio Notes: ||Frederick William Bolton Charles was born on 15 March 1912. He studied at Liverpool School of Architecture from 1930-35 under C H Reilly and Lionel B Budden. During this period he made at least two study tours abroad, the first in 1931 to Italy and the following year to Sweden. In 1933 he was engaged by the University of Liverpool to work under 'Mr Keay' and subsequently gained office experience though it is unclear if this was with Keay or elsewhere. He was an assistant in the offices of E Maxwell Fry amd Walter Gropius from 1935 and then moved to Malaya as architect to the municipality of the Penang Straits Settlements. In 1937 he was elected ARIBA, proposed by H St John Harrison, Joseph Emberton and C H James. |
In 1939 he was back in London and spent a year in the office of Sir John Burnet, Tait & Lorne, moving to work with Professor William Holford under Sir Alex Gibbon & Partners. In 1944 he worked for Sir Frank Mears and the South East Scotland Regional Planning Advisory Committee. He was part-arthor of the 'Plan for Central and SE Scotland' and of the Lauderdale Survey both published in 1948.
He commenced independent practice in Edinburgh in 1948 undertaking various hospital commissions and domestic alterations. He taught part-time at Edinburgh College of Art. He moved to Bromsgrove in 1952, initially practising as F W B Charles and R Stewart Johnson but soon under his own name alone. He was also a senior lecturer at the Birmingham school of Architecture. In Worcestershire he mainly undertook private house commissions. In 1956 he was elected FRIBA, proposed by A Douglas Jones, who was head of the School of Architecture in Birmingham, Herbert Jackson and Reginald Edwards.
Charles died in Worcestershire in 2002.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|416, Fulham Road, London, England||Business||1937|| || |
|3, Great Stuart Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private/business(?)||1950 *||After 1952|| |
|Woodbury/36, New Road, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England||Private||c. 1954|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Walter Scott||1951|| ||Assistant|| |
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1952||Infectious Diseases Hospital||Haddington|| ||East Lothian||Scotland||Major additions|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||4 April 1952|| || ||p536|