Basic Biographical Details

Name: A McInnes Gardner & Partners
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Before 1950
Ended: After 1979
Bio Notes: Alexander McInnes Gardner was born at New Kilpatrick on 21 September 1878, the son of Robert Gardner, bleach work warehouseman, and his wife Jane McInnes. He was articled to A Lindsay Miller of Glasgow in 1893, attending classes at Glasgow School of Art and winning a number of prizes and medals. In 1898 he left Lindsay Miller to work with Malcolm Stark in the Glasgow office of Stark & Rowntree as an assistant. The following year Gardner moved to the office of James Miller. After two years there he re-joined Fred Rowntree in London, and after a further two years he returned to work again for James Miller in Glasgow. He commenced practice on his own account in 1905 at 144 St Vincent Street, Glasgow, in partnership with Thomas Andrew Millar, a fellow draughtsman in James Miller's office. Gardner spent two months studying in Italy in autumn 1910 and was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects. In addition to their known works, Millar's nomination papers mention 'a considerabal [sic] amount of remodelling of commercial property in Glasgow'.

The partnership of Gardner & Millar was dissolved in 1912. Gardner then entered into a partnership with Robert Whyte; this appears to have lasted barely more than a year (1913-14). In 1912 Gardner had designed the Clydebank Public Library, won in competition, and about this time became associated in ship work with George A Crawley of London. He had already had considerable experience in ship work in James Miller's office, having designed the interiors of the Lusitania immediately before leaving. In McInnes Gardner's records most of the ships are referred to by their job numbers and not their names. He worked chiefly for Fairfield, Denny, Hawthorn-Leslie and Workman, Clark and Co. His RIASQ obituary mentions, in addition to the ships listed below, the Northern Prince, the Western Prince, the Eastern Prince, and the Queen of Bermuda, and many CPR ships, including, according to the Glasgow Herald obituary, the Empress of Britain. During the war he served in the RFA, attaining the rank of major, and on his return formed a partnership with Crawley, which was terminated by the latter's death, after which he worked alone.

Gardner was a member of council of both the Glasgow Institute of Architects and the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland. He also represented the Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland on the Board of Governors at Glasgow School of Art and was a member of the Scottish Committee of the Board of Trade Council for Art and Industry.

In 1950 the practice title was A McInnes Gardner & Partners with an address at 223 West George Street. It operated under this title at the same address until at least 1981 in which year the office was at 7 Lynedoch Crescent. The partners at this date were Jack Baker MacIntyre and Henry Howard Gardner Wood.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 4223, West George Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1950 *After 1960 
Item 2 of 47, Lynedoch Crescent, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1975 *After 1981 
Item 3 of 4259, Union Street, Aberdeen, ScotlandBusiness1979 Aberdeen branch of practice.
Item 4 of 49, Bon Accord Crescent, Aberdeen, ScotlandBusiness1980 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 7Alexander Graham GlenBefore 1950 Partner 
Item 2 of 7Thomas Mann1961 Architect 
Item 3 of 7James Patrick McBrideBefore 1961 Partner 
Item 4 of 7Allan Muirc. 1961 Partner 
Item 5 of 7Jack Baker McIntyre (or MacIntyre)Before 1970 *After 1975Partner 
Item 6 of 7Henry Howard Gardner WoodBefore 1975 *After 1981Partner 
Item 7 of 7Henry Howard Gardner Wood1990s(?) Architect 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 61939Queen's Rooms, La Belle Place  GlasgowScotlandInterior gutted and converted for use as First Church of Christ Scientist.
Item 2 of 61975Bearsden Public HallBearsden GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 61975Shell's Exploration and Production office complexAltens AberdeenshireScotland 
Item 4 of 61976Shell's Exploration and Production office complexAltens AberdeenshireScotlandAdditional office and boiler house
Item 5 of 61977Shell's Exploration and Production office complexAltens AberdeenshireScotlandWith Anne Duff in charge of office. Furnishings and colour scheme for restaurant and reception.
Item 6 of 61977Shell's Exploration and Production office complexAltens AberdeenshireScotlandTraining centre with lecture rooms and short stay single bedrooms and study rooms. Interior design for this project and refurbishment of existing mansion on site. With Anne Duff in charge of Aberdeen office. Also tennis courts and squash courts.

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 5RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 2 of 5RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   
Item 3 of 5RIBA1975RIBA Directory of practices   
Item 4 of 5RIBA1979RIBA Directory of Practices 1979   
Item 5 of 5RIBA1981Directory of Practices 1981