Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||William Watt Allan |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1 March 1911 |
|Died: ||19 April 1990 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Watt Allan was born on 1 March 1911, the son of John Allan, locomotive fireman, and his wife Isabella Pirie Watt. He was articled to William James Taylor from 1929-1934 while at the same time studying architecture and building construction at Inverness Evening Art School. At the completion of his articles he remained with Taylor as chief assistant. He served with HM Forces between October 1942 and March 1946 but returned to his old post therafter. |
He was admitted LRIBA in 1948, proposed by William John Taylor, Roy Carruthers Ballantyne and John Alistair Ross.
In 1950 his address was 19 St Andrew Drive, Inverness. He set up business on his own account in Inverness. He was elected ARIAS in 1954. By 1975 he was sole partner practising as William W Allan & Company in Inverness.
He died on 19 April 1990 aged 79 years at Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, survived by his wife Audrey Joy Dawborn.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|113, Kingsmill Road, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland||Private|| ||1990|| |
|19, St Andrew Drive, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland||Private/business||1950 *||After 1954|| |
|4, Green Drive, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland||Private||1964 *||After 1981|| |
|2, Inglis Street, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland||Private/business(?)||1975 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1977||St Ninian's RC Church||Inverness|| ||Inverness-shire||Scotland|| |
|1980||St Benedict's Abbey||Fort Augustus|| ||Inverness-shire||Scotland||Church completed with addition of E apse to choir, plastering of nave walls and reordering in accordance with Vatican II. Work included tester of matel lampshades over high altar.|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1964||The RIBA Kalendar 1963-64|| || || |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|RIBA||1975||RIBA Directory of practices|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|H M Register House||Death Register|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L no6211 (Combined Box 126)|