Basic Biographical Details

Name: Wylie Shanks & Partners
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1960
Ended: After 1975
Bio Notes: In 1960 Walter Underwood left the practice of Wylie Shanks & Underwood, and the practice name became Wylie Shanks & Partners. In 1965 the practice opened a Perth office over and above the Glasgow office.

From 1937 they had been architects to the SIEC (a Board of Trade Agency) and were therefore involved with a number of industrial developments throughout Scotland. They also were architects fpr William Collins Publishers and as such carried out work from 1970-76.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 3GlasgowBusiness   
Item 2 of 3PerthBusiness1965  
Item 3 of 33, Barossa Place, Perth, Perthshire, ScotlandBusiness1981 Branch office

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 12George Ferguson Smellie Shanks19601963Partner 
Item 2 of 12Frederick Robert Wylie19601969Partner 
Item 3 of 12Peter Leslie Aitken Williams19601974Partner 
Item 4 of 12William Jardine19601982Partner 
Item 5 of 12Andrew Alexander McCrory19611963Assistant 
Item 6 of 12William Mitchell Millar19651967Assistant 
Item 7 of 12William Duncan Hunter19651996PartnerOr 1995?
Item 8 of 12Hugh Stewart Robertson1968 ArchitectAssociate
Item 9 of 12Edward Hanlon19691989Partner 
Item 10 of 12Ronald James Wright Wilson1974 Partner 
Item 11 of 12Iain Douglas MacLaren1982 Partner 
Item 12 of 12John McGinn1989 Architect 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 541960s(?)Advance factory for SIECKirkconnel DumfriesshireScotland 
Item 2 of 541960sEuclid/Terex factory   Luxembourg 
Item 3 of 541960sFactory for National Cash RegistersWester Gourdie AngusScotland 
Item 4 of 541960sFactory for Wrangler  GlasgowScotland 
Item 5 of 541960sThyne's Factory, Sighthill Industrial EstateSighthill EdinburghScotlandAlterations?
Item 6 of 541960Glasgow Maternity Hospital  GlasgowScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 7 of 541960Glasgow Western Infirmary, Radiotherapy Building  GlasgowScotland 
Item 8 of 541960Killearn HospitalKillearn StirlingshireScotlandAlterations and extension to wards, labs and X-ray and operating theatres
Item 9 of 541960Stow College of Building and Printing and Stow College of Commerce and Distributive Trades  GlasgowScotland 
Item 10 of 541961Factory for National Cash Registers  DundeeScotland 
Item 11 of 541962Office block for ColvillesMotherwell LanarkshireScotland 
Item 12 of 541962Warehouse for William Collins Sons & Co, Publishers  GlasgowScotland 
Item 13 of 541964Computer installations, NCR Ltd, Honeywell  LanarkshireScotland 
Item 14 of 541964Scottish Industries Exhibition 1964  GlasgowScotlandOverall design
Item 15 of 541965Glasgow Dental Hospital and School  GlasgowScotlandAlterations
Item 16 of 541965Motherwell and Wishaw Civic CentreMotherwell LanarkshireScotlandCompetition design - won competition to secure job.
Item 17 of 541965Norwich Union Office Building  GlasgowScotland 
Item 18 of 54After 1966Factory for Holo-Krome Ltd., Kingsway West  DundeeScotland 
Item 19 of 541967Central Depot, Upper Clyde Water Board  GlasgowScotland 
Item 20 of 541967Scottish Industrial Estate, Euclid (Great Britain) Ltd, plant at NewhouseNewhouse LanarkshireScotlandExtension
Item 21 of 541968Miss Cranston's Tea Rooms, Buchanan Street  GlasgowScotlandNew banking hall inserted
Item 22 of 541969Stow College of Building and Printing  GlasgowScotlandPodium/Millennium block added
Item 23 of 541970sAdvance factory for SIECWick CaithnessScotland 
Item 24 of 541970sDevelopment for Levi Strauss LtdWhitburn West LothianScotland 
Item 25 of 541970sDevelopment for Levi Strauss Ltd, Bothwell ParkBothwell LanarkshireScotland 
Item 26 of 541970sEnvironmental Improvement WorksFort William Inverness-shireScotland 
Item 27 of 541970sIndustrial development  EdinburghScotland 
Item 28 of 541970s(?)Jordanhill Parish ChurchJordanhill GlasgowScotlandReorganisation of sanctuary
Item 29 of 541970sWestern Infirmary, Oncology Unit   Glasgow Extension
Item 30 of 541970General Motors FactoryMotherwell LanarkshireScotland 
Item 31 of 541970General Motors FactoryPeterhead AberdeenshireScotland 
Item 32 of 541970Glasgow Dental Hospital and School  GlasgowScotlandTeaching block
Item 33 of 541970Rolls Royce FactoryHillington GlasgowScotlandNew factory
Item 34 of 541970Water Department Headquarters  GlasgowScotlandWith W T Deveney, engineer.
Item 35 of 54After 1970Elliott Brothers Marconi Developments premises   ScotlandNew build? Extensions?
Item 36 of 54After 1970Factory block for Industrial Estates Managment Corporation for Scotland  Dundee, AngusScotlandExtensions
Item 37 of 54After 1970Filtrona Factory  DundeeScotland 
Item 38 of 54After 1970Industrial development for General Motors   Luxembourg 
Item 39 of 54After 1970Trane Heating and Airconditioning FactoryDonibristle FifeScotland 
Item 40 of 54After 1970Veeder Root Factory  DundeeScotlandExtensions or new build?
Item 41 of 541972Jordanhill Parish Church, church hallJordanhill GlasgowScotlandNew halls developed
Item 42 of 541972Offices for Rolls Royce  GlasgowScotland 
Item 43 of 541973Drewsteighton SchoolBearsden GlasgowScotland 
Item 44 of 54Before 1973Clydesdale Bank, overseas branchHillington GlasgowScotland 
Item 45 of 54c. 1973Carnegie LibraryAirdrie LanarkshireScotlandConversion? Further work?
Item 46 of 541975St Jude's Episcopal Church  GlasgowScotlandInterior subdivision
Item 47 of 541975William Collins Publishers LtdBishopbriggs GlasgowScotlandWith Hanlon as partner in charge
Item 48 of 541977Factory for Levi Strauss UK Ltd  DundeeScotland 
Item 49 of 541977Head office for Long John International Ltd  GlasgowScotland 
Item 50 of 541977Sales Centre, Factory and offices for Caithness GlassPerth PerthshireScotland 
Item 51 of 541979Head office for Long John International Ltd  GlasgowScotlandInteriors
Item 52 of 54Late 1970sSilberline Ltd FactoryLeven FifeScotlandExtensions
Item 53 of 541983Fortronic FactoryDonibristle FifeScotland 
Item 54 of 541991St Kentigern's ChurchInversnaid StirlingshireScotlandConversion to Outdoor Centre for the Boys Brigade.

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 4Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Pressp151
Item 2 of 4Glendinning, Miles1997Rebuilding Scotland: The Postwar Vision, 1945-75  Tuckwell Press Ltdp18, p178 Stow College of Distributive Trades, and Building and Printing
Item 3 of 4RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   
Item 4 of 4Wylie Shanks Architects2012Wylie Shanks Architects: a centenary retrospective 1912-2012